2019:Technology outreach & innovation/Deploying in WMF: A new paradigm
|This is an Accepted submission for the Technology space at Wikimania 2019.|
Description[edit | edit source]
Deploying applications in the movement's infrastructure can be a tedious and irritating process. Fully aware of this, the Site reliability engineering and Release engineering teams have been collaborating to adopt new industry best practices in order to alleviate those problems.
This talk will discuss the current status quo and introduce people to the new deployment pipeline
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
- 8 - Decent work and economic growth
- 9 - Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
Session slides[edit | edit source]
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- The audience will have a clearer understanding of the issues the current deployment paradigm causes
- The audience will become aware of the new Kubernetes powered deployment pipeline that has been built
- An understanding of the currently emerging paradigm in building and deploying applications will have been achieved.
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
- Alexandros Kosiaris. Senior Site Reliabity Engineer at Wikimedia Foundation
Contacts[edit | edit source]
- IRC: akosiaris
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Class room or lecture hall.
- Projector and screen
- Being/wanting to become a developer with an interest in deploying an application into the movement's production environment a plus
- Freely licensed slides, straight forward presentation, no limitations.