Speakers[edit | edit source]
- Kelsi Stine-Rowe, WMF (facilitator)
- Joël Letang, WMF (introduction)
- Douglas Scott, previous Wikimania organizer (panelist 1)
- Phoebe Ayers, Wikimania Steering Committee (panelist 2)
- Yamen Bousrih, Core Organizing Team (panelist 3)
Abstract[edit | edit source]
Following the latest Steering Committee meeting, the following consensus was reached:
"Our current thinking is to have a virtual Wikimania in 2022 and we are open to a hybrid approach or in real life aspects that are justified given developing global situations."
Our objective for this session is to move toward consensus on two important questions:
- What does a future virtual format of Wikimania look like?
- How do we want to select host groups for the future of Wikimania?
We will do that using the movement strategy principles, and applying them to help answer these questions. On Saturday, Sunday, and Monday of Wikimania, the Movement Communications team at the Wikimedia Foundation will host drop-in sessions in the Unconference space to gather ideas from volunteers on a virtual white board. Volunteers from across the movement will be invited to share their thoughts about what it might look like to apply these principles to our key questions. These ideas will then be summarized and discussed at the Future of Wikimania session hosted on Tuesday by three panelists, who will look to advance progress on our focus questions.