2021:Submissions/Wikimedia and GLAM in the Global South
Speakers[edit | edit source]
- Joy Agyepong, Open Heritage Foundation / Wikimedia Ghana
- Isla Haddow-Flood, Wiki In Africa
- Wikimedia Nigeria Board (Olushola [Session Co-chair] and Isaac)
- Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee (Houcemeddine Turki [Session Co-chair], Clifford Anderson and Ayokanmi Kaizen)
- Wiki World Heritage Board (Nassima Chahboun [Session Co-chair] and Antoni)
- Alice Kibombo, AfLIA
Abstract[edit | edit source]
Despite the major availability of natural resources and human workforce in the Global South, it is still the most underdeveloped part in the world. Interaction between GLAM Community and Wikimedia Affiliates can be useful to ameliorate the coverage of developing countries in Wikimedia Projects as well as to enhance the move to digital humanities and Libraries 2.0 in low-resourced countries. This session will highlight the work of Wiki World Heritage, Wikimedia and Libraries User Group and Wkimedia Nigeria as well as of several communities in building GLAM partnerships and initiatives worldwide and particularly in the Global South, through focusing on documenting cultural heritage and libraries. Then, it discusses the main directions that should be followed by Wikimedia GLAM in the Global South to enhance Cultural Heritage and Digitization in the developing world.
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- Attendees will learn about large initiatives for the representation of Heritage in Commons and other Projects.
- Attendees will know the situation and challenges of preserving, documenting and digitizing oral history in Africa.
- Attendees will identify the value of the synergy between Wikimedians and Librarians in the Global South to achieve milestones at both sides.
- Attendees will know how to move forward with the Projects combining GLAM with Wikimedia to achieve sustainability in the Global South.
I'm planning to attend live![edit | edit source]
- Laurie Bridges
- Bibeyjj (talk) 22:49, 6 August 2021 (UTC)
- Sunkanmi12 (talk) 14:04, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
- FRomeo (WMF) (talk) 14:37, 11 August 2021 (UTC)
- --Gereon K. (talk) 17:02, 11 August 2021 (UTC)
- Fouad Asfour (talk) 08:43, 12 August 2021 (UTC)
- Andrew Krizhanovsky (talk) 10:19, 12 August 2021 (UTC)
- Sabine Müller (WMDE)
- PDiazR (WMCL) (talk)
- Princess of Ara (talk) 18:36, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- Orlysi (talk) 05:42, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Walkuraxx (talk) 05:56, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- NANöR (talk) 15:51, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Windblown29 (talk) 15:54, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Sarah Ab (talk) 15:56, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) 16:44, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- GFontenelle (WMF) (talk) 16:48, 14 August 2021 (UTC)