2022:Present and future
Page about the present and future of Wikimania 2022 online. Read more and feel free to contribute! ❤️️
Many of these notes apply primarily to an upcoming online Wikimania, but could be useful in a live Wikimania as well.
Historical context[edit | edit source]
In 2021 part of the community raised some concerns and possible solutions for Wikimania online 2021 (most of the problems were related to Free and Open Source and privacy).
In 2022 some of these problems have been mitigated, some were present as well. So we will try to help explaining where are the problems this year and what are the possible solutions. Partially related, trying to be more heard on these issues, we are trying to open the Wikimedians for software freedom user group.
Problems and solutions for Wikimania 2022[edit | edit source]
|Topic||Problems||Available solutions||Accepted replacement in 2022|
|pheedloop.com||Problems affecting participants as default:
Partial list of these resources:
|These are all valid solutions - just pick one or propose more:
|meet.google.com||Problems affecting participants as default:||These are all valid solutions - just pick one or propose more:
Situation compared to previous year[edit | edit source]
- ❌: Situation not improved since last year.
- ⚠️: Situation apparently not improved since last year which deserves clarification.
- ✅: Situation improved since last year.
Here some checklist points from the last year document 2021:Present and future:
- ❌ HUMAN-1 · Reduce necessary data
- In 2022, most participants registered their email in the proprietary platform Pheedloop just to see the program or view videos, but it was not really necessary to just see both of them.
- ❌ HUMAN-2 · Stop asking sexual orientation
- In the post-Wikimania 2022 survey there are questions about people's sexual preferences that can be linked to their email addresses and other personal metadata.
- → In some countries, like Afghanistan, homosexuality is punished with the death penalty. If you want to be inclusive, don't ask this information in a questionnaire that also ask email address (or any other personal metadata that can link to a real person).
- → If you really want to have statistical information about sexual preferences, it's better to have a completely separated survey (without e-mail etc.)
- ❌ HUMAN-3 · Explain what is mandatory or optional
- Pheedloop explicitly asked first name, last name and email addresses - and only optionally a nickname - of participants.
- → This is exactly the opposite of what Wikimedia projects try to do: first and last name should not be asked (optional).
- → If the first and last name could be filled in with fictional information, it had to be clarified.
- → In some countries it is illegal to enter a false name and surname, so it's not possible to expect participants to be bold and go for this possibility on their own.
- → If the platform does not allow you to remove the "(*)" on name and surname, just add an useful note (example: "feel free to set a fictional surname" or "sorry if this field is mandatory for technical reasons, just add a random character" or something like that to avoid collection of real name and surname for no reasons).
- ❌FLOSS-0 · Participation must be allowed with Free/Libre software
- The requirements in Wikimania 2022 festival technology guide said "Google Chrome" and no other free/libre browser web like Firefox or Chromium.
- → While it makes sense to focus development on just a few browsers (e.g. latest LTS of Firefox and Chromium); putting a message from the official Wikimania 2022 conference, telling anyone "only use Google Chrome - but contact us if you cannot", is not acceptable. The same statement is perceived in this way: "if you are a Wikimedian and so if you care about freedom, please go away - but contact us if you care".
- ✅ This year it seems it was possible to use Jitsi Meeting that is free/libre software. Thank you!
- ⚠️ Unfortunately, some speakers received a link to a proprietary platform called
global.callin.studioas default. Some others received a link to "Zoom" that is proprietary as well. Somebody received the link ~35 minutes before the start of their talk, so for them there were no possibility to adopt Jitsi Meeting.
- PUBLIC-5 · Watch and reply talk pages
- ✅ There have been improvements in the watch of the discussion pages. Thank you! For example there were users who asked questions about the protection of their personal data and got an answer before the event started.
- ⚠️ On 24th, February 2022 a volunteer sent to the COT and to a WMF staff member an independent technical support quote from an European software house with expertise in free/libre services. The quote was sent back without any comment about content or price or reasons (example: the COT decided it was not important to invest in free/libre solutions, etc.)
Anything more? Please contribute to help future editions! Thank you!
Notes[edit | edit source]
- https://diff.wikimedia.org/2022/07/20/the-platform-powering-wikimania-2022/, 2022-07-20
- https://fortune.com/2022/01/13/austria-gdpr-google-analytics-max-schrems-noyb-edps/ - Austria says use of Google Analytics is illegal because it exposes Europeans to U.S. spy agencies
- https://www.theregister.com/2022/06/24/italy_google_analytics/ - It's a crime to use Google Analytics, watchdog tells Italian website
- https://www.ruetir.com/2022/07/15/denmark-has-just-banned-all-google-products-publicly-the-rest-of-europe-is-behind/ - Denmark has just banned all Google products publicly. The rest of Europe is behind
- https://www.euractiv.com/section/data-protection/news/french-watchdog-tweaking-google-analytics-wont-make-it-legal/ - French data protection watchdog: Tweaking Google Analytics won’t make it legal
- https://techmonitor.ai/policy/privacy-and-data-protection/denmark-google-ban-workspace-chromebook-gdpr - Denmark bans Google Workspace over GDPR non-compliance
- «What term(s) best describe your gender identity? Please select all that apply. (optional)»
- «Do you identify as cisgender? (optional) - from Wikimania 2022 survey» - from Wikimania 2022 survey
- «If yes, please provide your email address (optional).» - from Wikimania 2022 survey
- https://t.me/wikimaniachat/12575 - 24th, February 2022
See also[edit | edit source]
- 2021:Present and future - same but for the previous year