How to effectively manage Wiki initiatives with the Programs & Events Dashboard (and Event Metrics!)
||Wikimedia Username (if you have one)
|Krishna Chaitanya Velaga
||Wikipedia & Education User Group
||Ryan (Wiki Ed)
||Wiki Education Foundation
||United States of America
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Workshop to identify and try to solve a problem
Please indicate how long you'd like your session to be, in consideration with the above described
The Programs & Events Dashboard is a tool which assists the management of Wiki programs and events. It tracks metrics such as the number of articles created, edits made, bytes added, and files uploaded, as well as the number of page views the articles have received, giving organizers are a more complete understanding of the impact their participants have. The Dashboard also includes tools to, for example, highlight what parts of an article were contributed by participants, or visualize the change in articles' quality.
The session will help Wikimedia and Education programs organizers to get to know some of the new and underused features of the Dashboard. The session is suitable for both newbies and experienced users of the Dashboard. The session will start with the background of the tool, and a walkthrough of basics of creating a program on the Dashboard. The participants will have the opportunity for hands-on learning to test the features demonstrated. The second part of the session will highlight some new and underused features of the Dashboard, including ORES plots, article development graphs, and campaign alerts.
There will also be some time given to providing a brief overview of the Event Metrics tool.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Outreach organisers equipped with better support for metrics when running events and campaigns
- Increase the use of the Programs and Events Dashboard
- Attendees are better able to analyse and report on the quality of content created during outreach activities
- Attendees have a basic understanding of the Event Metrics tool and can evaluate the best tool for their needs
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: projector + screen with round-table seating
- People who organise outreach activities such as edit-a-thons and education programs
- People who are interested to learn about reporting and metrics for their events
- Both newbies and experienced users are welcome!
- Note: It would be great if the attendees are equipped with laptops so that they can do some live practice during the session.
- Recording: The session will be a combination of presentation, along with some time for participants to test the features demostrated. Yes, the session can be recorded by a single fixed-location camera and shared on the internet with a free-licence.