2019:Environmental sustainability/Panel on coverage of environmental topics
|This is an Accepted submission for the Environmental space at Wikimania 2019.|
Climate change, civil engineering, and butterflies - a panel on how to cover environmental sustainability topics on Wikimedia projects[edit | edit source]
- When: Sunday 18 August 2019, 11:30am
9:30amNote change of time
- Where: Södra Huset, Maathai B5
- What: An entertaining discussion where editors talk about best practices for contributing sustainability and environment-related content to Wikimedia projects, led by Phoebe, Deryck, and Atudu.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
How well do Wikimedia projects cover topics related to environmental sustainability, now that we have become the hub of all human knowledge? How can we learn from each other and do better? The panellists will use climate change, civil engineering, and butterflies as examples, to discuss the breadth and quality of environmental sustainability content on Wikimedia projects, the best practices they have found, and the initiatives they have started. Then, there will be an open-floor discussion on how we should move forward to bring better knowledge about environmental sustainability to the world. Whether you're an academic scientist, a wildlife watcher, or a Wikimedian with a heart for our planet, this panel session will give you ideas on how to contribute environmental sustainability content to Wikimedia projects effectively.
This panel will combine three submissions. Each of the submission authors will give a lightning talk:
- Environmental sustainability/Climate change on Wikipedia (Speaker: Phoebe)
- Environmental sustainability/Best practices for specialist content in environmental engineering and sustainability on Wikimedia projects (Speaker: Deryck Chan)
- Environmental sustainability/The journey of Wiki Loves Butterfly through the avenues of Butterfly-Nature and Wikimedia (Speaker: Atudu)