Technology outreach & innovation/Building Technical Capacity in Smaller Wikis
Strickland · Friday 13:00 - 14:00
Wiki communities often face similar technical challenges. How can we ensure knowledge transfer from one wiki to another? How can wikis adapt bots, templates, and tools from others to not reinvent the wheel? What kind of support is needed to strengthen technical knowledge & skills in communities that don’t have many or any technical contributors?
In this session we would like to discuss challenges of smaller and medium-sized wiki communities, bridge the gap between developer and editor communities and come up with ideas to build technical capacity & knowledge across wikis.
The session is related to the Wikimania Hackathon focus area Small Wiki Toolkits.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
Smaller wiki communities often lack technical contributors. This session helps bridging the gap between developer and editor communities and explores ideas to increase technical knowledge and skills across wikis (SDG 4, 10, 11, 12).
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Participants have an overview on the different challenges smaller wiki communities face
- List of ideas to strengthen technical knowledge and skills across wikis
- Mix and match of problems and already existing solutions
- Participants get to know others who want to share best practices on developing technical solutions and learn from each other
Documentation: Session slides & outcome of the discussions
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: Round-table seating would be wonderful, projector and whiteboard, normal classroom
- Audience: Editors & developers from different project/language communities. Anyone interested is welcome!
- Recording: Depends on agreement of participants.
If you would like to attend this session, please express your interest by signing ~~~~ below