Coordinator: Audrey Lebioda
Knowledge Savers document Wikimania and make sure that all the great ideas survive and can be spread after the conference. Knowledge Savers record, film and make sure that written documentation is available online throughout the sessions.
- Filming or recording speeches, seminars and workshops
- Taking photos of Wikimania events
- Preparing and managing online written documentation (Wikipages, pads, etc.)
A knowledge saver has at least one of the competences below:
- Good English skills
- Good audio and video skills
- Experience with conference documentation
Descriptions of Knowledge Saver tasks
Current goal is to record all sessions. The exception will be sessions that are focused on group work or loose conversations. Some sessions may request not to have video recordings, for example to preserve security and diversity safe spaces.
- Confirmed equipment:
- 6 cameras and video equipment from WMSE's "Teknikpool"
- 7 complete camcorder kits from WMF
- 1 volunteer supplied kit.
- Total number of physical venues is 15. All will likely not be used (at the same time). The actual number of parallel-used rooms is most often around 10.
- Dedicated will be provided for the sessions that have specifically requested it, but it will also require assistance from the Commmunication Experts to monitor chat and interact with remote viewers.
- The goal is to facilitate a technical solution for the live stream that will include slides directly into the output video. Then a tool can be used to transfer the video from Youtube to Commons (foregoing any need for post-production). For the sessions that is not live streamed, some post production will still be needed.
ALL VIDEO RECORDING AT A SESSION MUST BE PRECEDED BY CLEAR INFORMATION THAT VIDEOS WILL BE PUBLISHED ONLINE. ANYONE WHO DOES NOT CONSENT TO THIS MUST BE GIVEN AN EASY WAY OF OPTING OUT, FOR EXAMPLE BY SITTING IN A "NO PHOTOS" SECTION.
Uploading videos to Commons
- Upload files with the right categories: at least by day and by space and with it being a video
- Make sure it's linked from the session page.
स्ट्रिम गरिएका भिडियोहरू
- युट्युबबाट तिनीहरूलाई स्थानान्तरण गर्न उपकरणको प्रयोग गर्नुहोस्।
- Trim the video so it starts and end at the right time. Add intro graphics and "lower thirds" that clearly indicate who is talking. If slides are available, add them picture-in-picture. If the slides are detailed, consider making the slides full size and have the video in the corner. Render to webm and upload to Wikimedia Commons.
Notes from the session should be handled with Etherpad. This year's template is at: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Wikimania2019-template
- Create collection page for all notes: 2019:Session notes Done
- Create pads for all sessions that have expressed interest Done
- Link pad from each session
No specification have been provided for how extensive photo documentation should be. This task will to some extent overlap with that of the Communication Experts track. Communication Experts will want nice "snapshots" for use on social media; Knowledge Savers will focus on more detailed coverage.
ALL PHOTOGRAPHY AT A SESSION MUST BE PRECEDED BY CLEAR AN UNAMBIGUOUS INFORMATION THAT PHOTOS WILL BE PUBLISHED ONLINE. ANYONE WHO DOES NOT CONSENT TO THIS MUST BE GIVEN AN EASY WAY OF OPTING OUT, FOR EXAMPLE BY SITTING IN A "NO PHOTOS" SECTION.
Uploading photos to Commons
- Uploading files with the right templates, categorizing, and making sure it's all linked from session sub-pages.
Updating session pages
Updating all sessions pages with links to Etherpads, slides, uploaded videos, photos, etc. Here is an example of what this looked like at Wikimania 2016.