2021:Submissions/A future Wikimedia Language Diversity hub
Facilitators[edit | edit source]
- Jon Harald Søby (WMNO)
- Astrid Carlsen (WMNO)
Abstract[edit | edit source]
Building on input the Wikimedia Norge team will gather during the Arctic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference 24–25 June, see Arctic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference 2021, we would like to facilitate a workshop to gather input on 1: what focus areas a possible Wikimedia Language Diversity hub could have, and 2: what partnerships in the wider ecosystem of free knowledge a hub could benefit from.
Around the world there are a lot of organizations working on for example language revitalization projects and 2022–2032 is to be the UNESCO Decade of Indigenous Languages. Wikipedia is an important tool in many language revitalization projects and Wikipedia is dedicated to making content available in every language, especially indigenous ones, as it continues to grow.
For inspiration and preparation you can take a look at this Diff blog post that we wrote to celebrate the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples.
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- take part in shaping the focus areas for a future Wikimedia Language Diversity hub
- learn from other who work on the presence of underrepresented and indigenous languages on the Wikimedia projects and in the wider ecosystem of knowledge
- reflect on what partnerships to consider in this work
- find allies for future collaborations
The session will be held in Remo. We have prepared 4 questions, that are listed in the etherpads below. We look forward to seeing you!
I'm planning to attend this session live![edit | edit source]
- Oscar . (talk) 15:51, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
- Maria Heuschkel (WMDE) (talk) 06:11, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- --Gereon K. (talk) 17:38, 11 August 2021 (UTC)
- Trondtr (talk) 19:25, 12 August 2021 (UTC)
- OwenBlacker (talk) 09:04, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Yug (talk) 17:44, 17 August 2021 (UTC)
- Antiqueight (talk) 09:10, 18 August 2021 (UTC)