2021:Submissions/Contribution Gamification in Wikimedia Projects - The Chinese Wikipedia Experience
Speakers[edit | edit source]
Abstract[edit | edit source]
I will talk about the basics of the annual contest in Chinese Wikipedia. Comparing to other contests such as "Wiki Loves" series, the annual contest is unique by having an RPG-like scoring and rewarding system to stimulate participation. Participants are scored dynamically article-by-article by factoring the length and quality of each article submitted in contest. At the end of the contest, there are no single winner - almost everyone is rewarded with graded awards.
The contest has been in place for over a decade and met with success - very high editor retention between editions, participant satisfaction and measurable content improvements. Elements of the contest can be adopted in different Wikimedia projects and communities.
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- This session is steered towards experienced contributors who are planning to organise contests and game-like rewards in communities
- After completing the session, participants should be able to...
- Understand the basics of running a contest
- Understand how to include RPG-like rewarding system to a contest (or to a editing community in general)
- Realise common issues organisers may face in a contest and how to mitigate them