2021:Submissions/Structured data on Commons: today and tomorrow
Speakers[edit | edit source]
- Carly Bogen - Senior Program Manager, Structured Data, Wikimedia Foundation
- Giovanna Fontenelle - Program Officer, GLAM and Culture, Wikimedia Foundation
- Fiona Romeo - Senior Manager, GLAM and Culture, Wikimedia Foundation
- Dominic Byrd-McDevitt: Data Fellow, Digital Public Library of America
Abstract[edit | edit source]
The development of Structured Data on Commons, or SDC, took place between 2017 and 2019. Since then, it has been an important feature to make media files on Wikimedia Commons more discoverable and available for more people, in different languages. It is transforming Commons into a multilingual, accessible, and machine-readable platform, as well as making its files and data more interconnected, findable, and reusable.
In this presentation, we plan to provide a background on Structured Data on Commons, share some GLAM-Wiki initiatives that are using SDC, give an update on the future direction of the project, and have a conversation about metadata modeling and the use of the Wikidata depicts property.
- Introductions and background on SDC - Giovanna Fontenelle
- Structured data adoption in the community - Giovanna Fontenelle
- Digital Public Library of America initiative - Dominic Byrd-McDevitt
- Update on the future direction of SDC - Carly Bogen
- Introduction about modeling and depicts
- Q&A from the chat
After the presentations, the session will continue as a discussion on Unconference:
- Sunday 15.08.2021, 21:00 - 21:30 (UTC)
- Building 6
- Floor 1, table A
- More details at 2021:Unconference/Structured data on Commons
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- Obtain a better understanding of Structured Data on Commons guidelines, projects, tools, and development.
- Advance discussions on data modeling on Wikimedia Commons, as a Wikimedia platform that is integrating Wikidata.
- Discover and provide feedback on the plans of Structured Data on Commons.
Slides[edit | edit source]
- Slides from Giovanna Fontenelle and Dominic Byrd-McDevitt's presentation
- Slides from Carly Bogen's presentation
Resources[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia Weekly Network - LIVE Wikidata editing #39 (YouTube)
- Structured Data on Commons explained (YouTube)
- Structured Data on Commons for GLAM institutions (video), tutorial during the 2021 LD4 Conference
- Structured Data on Commons for GLAM institutions (slides), tutorial during the 2021 LD4 Conference
- Structured data on Commons page for GLAM-related events and workshops
- Structured data on Commons press and presentations page
I'm planning to attend this session live![edit | edit source]
- Ainali (talk) 09:21, 11 August 2021 (UTC)
- PDiazR (WMCL) (talk)
- OwenBlacker (talk) 08:42, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Andrew Krizhanovsky (talk) 07:20, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- Indrajitdas (talk) 10:43, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- NANöR (talk) 19:47, 15 August 2021 (UTC)