2021:Submissions/To translate or not to translate by the machine is the question
Speakers[edit | edit source]
Abstract[edit | edit source]
One of the easiest ways of enriching articles in Wikipedias in Indian languages is by using Machine Trasnslation (MT) systems. Though there are quality checks in place for using MT outputs directly, there are ways of creating translated articles using indirect methods. For example, copy paste MT output instead of using the built-in ones. In language pairs, where good MT systems are still in developing stage, such articles create a burden to the community. In this lecture, we present the challenges in using English-Telugu MT systems for creating Wikipedia articles in Telugu. Using examples we show the typological differences between the two languages and identify ways to correct them to bring out the naturalness in the Telugu articles.
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
Learn the challenges of using English as the source language for translating Wikipedia articles into languages that are different at both morphological and structural levels.
I'm planning to attend this session live![edit | edit source]
- Ziko (talk) 15:10, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
- Kasyap (talk) 06:57, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- Daniel Case (talk) 04:13, 12 August 2021 (UTC)
- Dollyrajupslp (talk) 07:03, 12 August 2021 (UTC)
- Vikashegde (talk) 06:25, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- Ата (talk) 11:25, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- DaSupremo (talk) 13:50, 14 August 2021 (UTC)