2021:Submissions/We write Wikipedia. Participation of women in the free and collaborative encyclopedia on the Internet
Speakers: Raquel Ramírez Salgado (Wikimedia México), Anna Torres (Wikimedia Argentina)[edit | edit source]
Abstract:[edit | edit source]
Why fewer women than men write on Wikipedia? Why are women still underrepresented in Wikipedia content?
The objective of this session is present the results of the researching "We write Wikipedia. Participation of women in the free and collaborative encyclopedia on the Internet". This work allows reflection and understanding of the causes and effects of gender inequality. Also, the recovery of the experience of Wikipedian women, on specific the practices and events are made visible that generate the persistence of gaps and biases in Wikipedia. The session will be attended by Anna Torres, executive director of Wikimedia Argentina, and Raquel Ramírez, gender consultant for Wikimedia Mexico.
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- Tools for identifying gender gaps and biases on Wikipedia.
- Understanding of the importance of women writing on Wikipedia and having content about them.
- Awareness on strategies to promote equality between women and men on Wikipedia.
I'm planning to attend live![edit | edit source]
- Raquel Ramírez Salgado
- Tiputini (talk) 18:36, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
- Oscar . (talk) 10:19, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- TrudiJ (talk) 17:26, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- GorillaWarfare (talk) 00:24, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- ProtoplasmaKid (talk) 06:00, 16 August 2021 (UTC)
- Antiqueight (talk) 09:09, 18 August 2021 (UTC)
- Jane023 (talk) 10:40, 18 August 2021 (UTC) (watched the streamed video on 18 Aug 2021)
- Mary_Ekomobong( I watched the recorded video)