Jump to content


Add topic
From Wikimania
Latest comment: 12 days ago by OwenBlacker in topic Update the redirect

Maintaining this site as covering all Wikimanias, not just the current one?

[edit source]

How are we planning to do this? We've not got a track record of doing that, as this is the first time we've had a single site. There's how MediaWiki.org handles hackathons, but does that work for us?

Jdforrester (talk) 16:00, 2 August 2018 (UTC)Reply

Your link is broken … Regards --Schniggendiller (talk) 16:44, 2 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
@Jdforrester What about mass importing all past Wikimania sites, and redirect all of them? After that, we can mark them as archived, and focus on building Wikimania 2019 contents. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 04:27, 6 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
User:Liuxinyu970226: Oh, absolutely yes, that too, but how do we decide what the front page talks about? "Most" visitors will be looking for the "next" conference, but how do we decide when to change the Main Page to a general one, or to be about the new one? A week after? A month? During the closing ceremony? Jdforrester (talk) 22:44, 6 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
A month after, at least. Or: If there’s useful content available for the next Wikimania. Example: Right now, two weeks after Wikimania 2018, there’s still no real content here for Wikimania 2019 (exact date, exact location, …). Regards --Schniggendiller (talk) 01:33, 7 August 2018 (UTC)Reply

Form my side. It is very easy. See the steps:

  1. Create the wikimania webpage as you did previously
    1. If new logo is wanted, you can change it temporarily by simply asking on Phabricator in #wikimedia-site-requests
  2. Organize Wikimania
  3. At least a month after Wikimania (preferably more, wikimania2017wiki was closed in December, Wikimania itself in August), create a task on Phabricator and request several things:
    1. Revert all customizations that happened via Phabricator, like the logo
    2. Create new namespace called after the year (in this case, 2019:)
  4. Move all pages in main namespace to 2019: and in talk: to 2019 talk: without redirecting by a bot (should be simple to write), maybe add a template to all of them like "Wikimania is over, you might want the same page for current Wikimania"
  5. By an abuse filter, disallow all but sysops to edit pages in this year namespaces (you can also use namespace wide editnotice if you want to)
  6. Add general main page to inform visitors
  7. Wait for next Wikimania
  8. Repeat this check-list

I should note creating wiki is a very difficult proces. There are efforts to make it easier, but right now, it is non trivial process. Doing all (?) other changes like logo changes or namespace changes is easy and takes a few of minutes.

I'm not sure importing content from other Wikimania wikis is really necessary. I'd treat the site as closed and do not touch it. As there is no sense to duplicate it, I'd not do anything like merging. Real deletion of a wiki is way more less common and harder than creating wikis and just redirecting them (without deleting them) will cause questionable benefits to us. --Martin Urbanec (talk) 14:32, 8 August 2018 (UTC)Reply

Sounds good, but doesn't it lack a step to prevent tons of broken links after a namespace move? I imagine people from other wikis/private blogs/etc. will keep linking to talks etc. which will all result in broken links once step 4 in your list will have been completed. --Vogone (talk) 18:06, 8 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
A semi-solution for this (at least for links created using the interwiki map) might be to continue creating "wm2xxx:" interwikis for each year but making them lead to the relevant namespace. --Vogone (talk) 18:09, 8 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
Or you just put everything under a "2019" prefix since the beginning and redirect the main page to the "current" year, like e.g. https://fosdem.org/ and tons of annual conferences do. --Nemo bis (talk) 11:28, 16 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
IMO we don't need a full NS, just a prefix like incubator (2019/Main page, 2019/Scholarships, ...) is sufficient. I saw this concept on DebConf wiki as well, and this looks good if we are to reuse the same wiki. — regards, Revi 06:35, 22 September 2018 (UTC)Reply
+1 to prefixes. That also resolves the eventual problem of constant dropdown menu growth for the namespace-selector in Search and other special pages.
+1 to the rest of Martin's notes, minus part #4. Quiddity (talk) 07:24, 26 September 2018 (UTC)Reply
Quite disappointing that the maintainers went with the NS. — regards, Revi 11:01, 27 May 2019 (UTC)Reply
Who is assuming the maintenance of this wiki, apart from the yearly organizational teams? I think they should be the one who makes a decision about this. — regards, Revi 05:51, 13 November 2018 (UTC)Reply

If we only had experiences with that topic. ;-) (Yes, a rarely used internal wiki for the conference organizers, unaware to both, volunteers as well as staff.) It also uses prefixes. Best, DerHexer (talk) 14:15, 7 January 2019 (UTC)Reply

Having one wiki for all Wikimanias

[edit source]

I'm sceptical of the idea. We will probably need to introduce a incubator-style system of prefixes in order to keep the several Wikimania events separate, which is certainly not going to simplify navigation (in fact we could just as well use metawiki now like m:WMCON does). My impression was that getting rid of such prefixes and being able to adjust the navigation sidebars individually for each event is exactly the reason why a separate wiki from meta might be desirable. By introducing a central Wikimania wiki, these two advantages are gone. Following the hackathon example you linked might work for us, but I do not see the advantage compared to having a separate wiki for each event, yet. --Vogone (talk) 22:15, 6 August 2018 (UTC)Reply

I agree, I’d prefer separate wikis for separate Wikimanias. Regards --Schniggendiller (talk) 01:33, 7 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
Like I said 5 years ago at m:Wikimania_project_domain I support to merge all wikimania wikis into one Wikimania wiki. IMO makes no sense to duplicate all templates and other useful stuff every year. We can for example move past Wikimania related pages under namespaces (2015:, 2016:, 2017:) or make them default to avoid broken links and massive page moves in future. Stryn (talk) 19:44, 7 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
Exactly. I'd like to quote from IRC: "<bawolff> Shirley: creating a wiki is like creating a baby, yes you should have a good reason to create one, but if you don't for whatever reason, you should have an _extra_ good reason for killing one", see wikitech:Delete_a_wiki . --Martin Urbanec (talk) 14:32, 8 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
+1 to Stryn's comment. I was around 5+ years ago as well; trying to make this happen, and I'm very glad it did. That being said, considering the decision has already been made (Jdforrester's comment below), may I suggest we move discussions about the unified wikimania wiki to somewhere else (or remove altogether)? I'm quite certain this it will attract unnecessary attention, and turn this Main Page talkpage into a possibly heated debate club. I'd say we give the good folks working on this some quiet time, so they can focus on the important stuff. :-) Rehman 04:39, 23 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
OK, but that decision has already been made. Jdforrester (talk) 17:31, 8 August 2018 (UTC)Reply
I prefer the moment that it's will be main wiki for Wikimanias — for Wikimania 2018, Wikimania 2019, etc. I still supporting creating separate wikis, and I also suggest create templates on this wiki and import templates from this wiki to Wikimania etc. wikis. Marshmallych 10:19, 12 August 2018 (UTC)Reply

I thought that moving to single Wikimania website was already decided. Now I am more interested in the next steps to be done. I guess, Stockholm team will soon start creating their wiki-space, and they better start doing it in line with wikimania.wikimedia.org guidelines from the beginning. Changing something after the 2019 team starts their work will only add mess.
Sadly, I am not offering my own help, since my previous modest contributions to wikimania wikis were only about translations administration. However, even I can try helping if we already know what kind of help we need. --Ата (talk) 17:59, 3 November 2018 (UTC)Reply

Talks, Votes, Scholarships, Social Network

[edit source]

We have some requirements for a complete wikimania application. I am working on a prototype of that to integrate into wikimania.

  1. We need a talk proposing system with voting, reviewing, accepting rejecting system (There was a mediawiki extension for that and it was abandoned long back)
  2. We need a Scholarship handling mechanism. Profiles of people, Scholarship application, Reports etc.. (some kind of prototypes can be found in all wikimania wikis but we need a complete dedicated system for that)
  3. A good event management system inside this wiki is essential thing for the success of wikimania.
  4. Slides, Videos and links to phabricator, github etc is needed for good documentation. All sessions must be recorded and uploaded into commons, youtube. All slides must be available. Also all the hackathon codes must be linked to wikimania itself.
  5. Need good photogalleries of all events and other photos available on commons is a great plus.
  6. Social Network of the wikimedians who participated in wikimania. The Main outcome of wikimania is making relations between other people around the world. A list of friends met on a particular wikimania is a must.
  7. An Android app or web app built upon wikipages is a good idea.

These are my thoughts. I am working on some prototypes. Hope we can implement something on this wikimania. Comments, Suggessions thoughts welcome- Happy to hear from you. :) --Ranjithsiji (talk) 09:37, 25 December 2018 (UTC)Reply

Regarding #6: Do you know en:Wikipedia:Personal acquaintances? Regards --Schniggendiller (talk) 23:06, 29 December 2018 (UTC)Reply
The German interface of toollabs:pb/ without any other language available makes it quite impossible to use to de-0. — regards, Revi 11:03, 27 May 2019 (UTC)Reply


[edit source]

It's probably time to move so that all this year's content is appropriately prefixed by a "2019", as usually done by most yearly conferences. We can move the main page to 2019 and change MediaWiki:Mainpage to "2019" but then we also need to remember creating the pages in namespace 0 as its subpages. Nemo bis (talk) 12:21, 17 January 2019 (UTC)Reply

Need basic info

[edit source]

Hello there,
The community starts to share information about 2019 events such as Wikimania. It would be a positive move to give the Main Page some more basic informations. You can check Wikimedia_Hackathon_2019 or something such :

  • Main Page: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org
  • Venue: ..., Stockholm, Sweden ?
  • Time: every day, 9am to 5pm.
  • Dates: August 14-18, 2019
    • Hackathon dates: August 14-15th, 2019 ?
    • Conferences dates: August 16-18th, 2019 ?
  • Scholarships application: <date> ?
  • For: <purpose / this year focus >
  • Participants: <number and profile of expected participants>
  • Contacts: <talk page and|or email>

So we can share the news and basic informations around. Best regards and thanks a lot <3 Yug 14:10, 18 January 2019 (UTC)Reply

Hi Yug! We're working hard to get the new wiki up and running. Keep an eye on the page in the upcoming days. Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 15:28, 31 January 2019 (UTC)Reply
Now there is informaton about applying for scholarships but no information so far about call for papers.--Urjanhai (talk) 09:26, 28 February 2019 (UTC)Reply
Thanks for the comment Urjanhai. We are working hard on updating this page. If you have specific questions, ask Wittylama, the program committee chair. Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 10:16, 28 February 2019 (UTC)Reply
I already sent an email to you. :) But I will ask Wittylama.--Urjanhai (talk) 10:23, 28 February 2019 (UTC)Reply
If I might add my question here, @Wittylama: Is it already known when the main conference will start (not the exact date, but the day)? In the example above, Yug presumes that August 14-15 will be for a hackathon with the main conference starting August 16, but I think that's just meant as a mock-up. I would like to attend the main conference from start to finish, if possible, but not any preceding hackathon or similar. Gestumblindi (talk) 22:34, 28 February 2019 (UTC)Reply
Yes, the main conference component is Friday 16, until Sunday 18, August. Wittylama (talk) 22:53, 28 February 2019 (UTC)Reply
@Wittylama: Thank you for the very fast, helpful reply, I appreciate it! :-) Gestumblindi (talk) 23:07, 28 February 2019 (UTC)Reply
Thanks all for these information ! I will forward it to relevant young and powerful users so they get the info in time <3. Yes! Gestumblindi, yes : my thing was a mock up following previous wikimania formats. Up to the Sweden team to clarify the correct values for each item. Yug (talk) 17:14, 1 March 2019 (UTC)Reply

Development of the Wikimania Wiki

[edit source]

Hi all,

With a couple of volunteer developers, the development of the new Wikimania Wiki has started. You can follow (and indeed take part in!) the development on the phabricator task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T214888

Best, Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 15:49, 31 January 2019 (UTC)Reply

Thank you for this ! It start to be quite elegant with that slider ! :D Yug (talk) 17:18, 1 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
Happy to hear! :) Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 08:42, 4 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
I'm not really fan of this slider. It's little annoying. I don't like that all the "cards" are changing their size when put mouse on one card. Stryn (talk) 15:08, 14 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
I think it could be improved. For instance, the anchor points are wrong. I.e. the zoomed state is zoomed into a meaningless area of the overall image... Rehman 16:58, 14 March 2019 (UTC)Reply


[edit source]

I am sorry, to ask here, but I havent found the better page. How to swith on the VisualEditor on this wiki? Juandev (talk) 00:13, 4 March 2019 (UTC)Reply

It seems as the visual editor doesn't work in the 2019: namespace (or due to some other reason?). Does @Billinghurst: or perhaps @Quiddity: know how to do this? Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 09:49, 18 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
Working for me
I am no expert on VE, and especially not in the translated pages, but it seems to be working in both style of pages, even if it is uglyish where translated.  — billinghurst sDrewth 11:01, 18 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
@Juandev: Re the preference setting, it is on the same page as other wikis Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing.  — billinghurst sDrewth 11:25, 18 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
@Eric Luth (WMSE) and Billinghurst: Hacking the URL works, but to get the links/tabs to show up for everyone you'll need to file a phabricator task -- tag the task with #visualeditor and #wikimedia-site-requests, and link to this discussion. See phab:T127819 for a related example.
It is definitely more complicated to edit <translate>'d pages with VE, but it will make editing other pages easier, so I endorse. Quiddity (talk) 16:37, 18 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
Ok, will have to look up this. It's a bit of a problem that people are adding translation tags even before the page is finishd (like with 2019:Travel guide. Makes it much harder to edit it. Even more so if we want other people to help out with it. Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 10:13, 27 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
@Quiddity: I don't get it. How would such a task help editing pages with translation tags with visual editor? Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 10:16, 27 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
@Eric Luth (WMSE): utilise {{under construction}} otherwise there is no indication of whether the page is text complete or not.  — billinghurst sDrewth 04:34, 30 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
@Billinghurst: I did that for 2019:Travel guide for example, but someone took it away. Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 13:20, 30 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
@Eric Luth (WMSE): for pages with <translate> tags it would not help, it would hinder editing those sections of the page (although sometimes the pages will only be partially translated, if past wikimania-wikis are any indication). It's definitely a complicated balance of pros/cons, and might be better to leave it off - or we could just try to do better at collectively not marking pages for translation too early. HTH! Quiddity (talk) 19:01, 29 March 2019 (UTC)Reply
I'd rather not have had the 2019:Travel guide with translation tags yet, because the page is not done yet… Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 13:19, 30 March 2019 (UTC)Reply

Infotmation about visas

[edit source]

How i can make article with information about visas to Sweden and make link to the article on the main page? --Fenikals (talk) 13:29, 7 March 2019 (UTC)Reply

Hi @Fenikals:. What kind of article are you proposing? Feel free to draft whatever you're proposing in your sandbox for example. Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 09:48, 18 March 2019 (UTC)Reply

Information on Registration

[edit source]

It would be helpful to have information on registration soon, as many organizations required early travel planning. Thanks!! TMorata (talk) 12:24, 30 April 2019 (UTC)Reply

Thanks for the input, @TMorata:! Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 12:43, 30 April 2019 (UTC)Reply
[edit source]

@Eric Luth (WMSE): Hiyo, I like the aesthetics of the new banner image! There is a problem though because it isn't in a responsive width, hence we get horizontal scrollbars on most small and medium windows/screens.

I'm not entirely sure how to solve it. I tried this experiment which partially works (try expanding and shrinking the browser-window, or viewing in mobile), but (1) I can't make the image non-clickable (the template's documentation is full of lies!?!), (2) It also makes the text within the image quite small on mobile screens.

In case you/someone has more skill/luck, I used these pages as source-material: mw:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018 (which pulls in mw:Template:Header mega, and mw:Template:Image (which I've imported here), and bits of mw:MediaWiki:Gadget-site.css). Hope that helps! Quiddity (talk) 08:10, 1 May 2019 (UTC)Reply

Thank you so much for your work on this, @Quiddity:. I noticed the same thing and reached out to @Chicocvenancio: to see if he has any answer. I'm not really good when it comes to the coding… Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 10:53, 1 May 2019 (UTC)Reply
I tried linking it (in your sandbox) to the Main Page. Do you think that could work? Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 10:56, 1 May 2019 (UTC)Reply
@Eric Luth (WMSE): I've made a couple tweaks, and I think we can just replace the current contents of Template:Main page/banner with the current contents of User:Quiddity/sandbox. Hopefully someone more technical than us can then improve it further. :) Quiddity (talk) 19:36, 1 May 2019 (UTC)Reply
Feel free to do this! Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 20:36, 1 May 2019 (UTC)Reply
@Quiddity: Do we know why the image is not responsive? Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 11:32, 7 May 2019 (UTC)Reply
@Eric Luth (WMSE): It should be working. Is it not for you/someone? (If not, please tell me which browser/OS/etc). I.e. If I look at it in Chromium/Firefox in desktop/mobile, it resizes to fit the width of the window, as we wanted. (However it's still the large image just scaled down, but that's the only easy way to implement responsiveness.) Quiddity (talk) 11:49, 7 May 2019 (UTC)Reply

Light grey text is hard to read

[edit source]
Light grey text on Wikimania 2019 website is hard to read

The light grey text on the Wikimania 2019 website is nearly unreadable for me. Can you change the color scheme? Or can I for myself? How? Thanks in advance, --Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 08:56, 27 May 2019 (UTC)Reply

@Sebastian Wallroth: Hm, it doesn't look that way for me? Do others see it the same way? Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 11:47, 28 May 2019 (UTC)Reply

Community Village

[edit source]

Quick question: is Community Village planned in Stockholm? Yarl (talk) 11:31, 30 May 2019 (UTC)Reply

@Yarl: I saw it was just announced on the mailing list, but in case you're not subscribed: 2019:Community Village now exists. Quiddity (talk) 16:42, 8 July 2019 (UTC)Reply

Hat note on English Wikipedia is broken

[edit source]

The hat not flashes between two messages; one is four lines long, the other is 2 lines long. Very pretty, but each time it flashes the page re-renders and the text you are viewing jumps up and down. Easy to fix but irritating in the meantime. --ClemRutter (talk) 20:00, 30 May 2019 (UTC)Reply

[edit source]

For previous Wikimanias we could use interwiki shortcuts for links, such as wm2016:, wm2017:, wm2018:.

wm2019: does not work, nor does wm:.

With the change to the site format, how do interwiki links work here? Blue Rasberry (talk) 20:33, 30 May 2019 (UTC)Reply

wmania: works. Stryn (talk) 06:56, 31 May 2019 (UTC)Reply

Request advice on scheduling meetups

[edit source]

Past Wikimanias have hosted meetups for usergroups during lunches and evenings.

There is a recurring challenge in Wikimanias to schedule meetups. Meetups typically have 10-30 attendees who collaborate with each other online, and this in person meeting is important.

With this new format, is there any capacity to host meetups during the regular schedule, or are meetups still informal and sort of off-the-schedule?

I regret that meetups get less recognition than lectures, because annual meetings are meaningful and so often bring progress and resolve outstanding issues among people who collaborate.

Here are some of the meetups which I want to organize or join -

  • LGBT+ Wikimedians
  • Wikimedians in Residence Exchange Network
  • OTRS / Volunteer response agents
  • United States regional meetup
  • South Asian meetup

Can anyone advise me on my best path to proposing and scheduling these? Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 20:46, 30 May 2019 (UTC)Reply

Single day ticket

[edit source]

Is a single day ticket only offered for Friday? -- 01:44, 7 July 2019 (UTC)Reply

@ Yes, you can! Please look at 2019:Registration. Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 11:13, 9 July 2019 (UTC)Reply
What he/she can? For me it looks like there is a single day ticket only for Friday as the IP said. Stryn (talk) 11:36, 9 July 2019 (UTC)Reply
Sorry, I misread the question. Yes, the single day ticket is only offered for the Friday. Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 12:04, 9 July 2019 (UTC)Reply

Food intolerances options

[edit source]

Hello! I read that lunch/snacks are provided during the conference days, could you please let me know if you have options for people with food intolerances? In particularly, gluten intolerance. I would need to know, as I'd need to pack food for myself, if there are no options. Thank you in advance. Teemeah (talk) 20:40, 10 July 2019 (UTC)Reply

@Teemeah: Yes, did you indicated your food intolerances on your eventbrite registration? If not, please go back into your registration and add this. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by (talk) 18:45, 12 July 2019
Thank you! My registration is going to be done by the local chapter, i will let them know to include this. Thank you! Teemeah (talk) 20:36, 14 July 2019 (UTC)Reply

Feedback for 2020 organizers: I could not send the feedback questionnaire because I was registered through the chapter and I didn't not get it by email. I really hope that organizers in Bangkok will take more precautions and better care for people with food intolerances, especially since most visitors won't be able to read the Thai script on packages. In Stockholm, the gluten free option was pretty much... a joke. While "normal" attendants got plenty of options, huge sandwiches and halal food was actually cooked food (and plenty), the gluten free option was one tiny roll filled with vegetables. For the whole day. Personnel at the stands were not able to give proper and confident answers about allergens, didn't find the allergen list printout and had to call the chef to ask what's in the snacks. One time I got wrong information from an unprepared server. Most people who ask for this option do so because they have health problems if they digest gluten (stomach cramps, diarrhea...), not because it's a popular dietary fad nowadays. I really wish organizers would make sure that these needs are properly met, especially with such high participation fees. On top of all that, the venue was so far from everything that there was no other option to get food, the supermarket at the subway entrance had no gluten free options at all, apart from a pack of chips. I spent Wikimania eating potato crisps and protein bars I brought from home. Not a very pleasant experience. :( Teemeah (talk) 11:36, 29 February 2020 (UTC)Reply

Error about translateion

[edit source]

There are some sentences on the current homepage without adding "<translate>" and "</translate>", which makes the translation of the homepage impossible. Like: "Power of diverse collaboration: Sharing knowledge brings people together", "5-9 August, 2020 Bangkok Convention Centre Centara Grand at CentralWorld Bangkok, Thailand" and "HOME PROGRAM ATTEND ANCETRAVEL GUIDEREGISTRATION". Please have permission to modify the person on the homepage to correct this error. Thank You! --Kitabc12345 (talk) 17:48, 8 March 2020 (UTC)Reply

Any updates on remote events this year?

[edit source]

It would be good to link to related discussions from here.

Also, the letter about the postponement should be fully centered. And maybe a warmer background color? Warmly, Sj (talk) 08:09, 26 June 2020 (UTC)Reply

A little clarification needed

[edit source]

What does You can help translate and share this message via Meta-Wiki mean? The message on this page can be translated right here and how will Meta-wiki be helpful in sharing it? Exec8, will you be able to help me here? -- Ата (talk) 22:08, 1 February 2021 (UTC)Reply

I would also like to ask for translation admin rights on this wiki, but since there are no bureaucrats from the new team yet, I'll wait, I guess --Ата (talk) 22:24, 1 February 2021 (UTC)Reply

Regarding Translating this Page

[edit source]

Hello, is there any particular reason this page has not fully been marked for translation yet? It is a shame that only the first paragraph can currently be translated because of the state of the translate tags. R4356th (talk) 18:00, 21 February 2021 (UTC)Reply

Broken formatting

[edit source]

The formatting of the page is broken. I have only noticed the heading as of now. I cannot edit the page as it is semi-protected, otherwise I would've edited myself.

TheEvilSkeleton (talk) 00:23, 13 April 2021 (UTC)Reply

Basic information missing

[edit source]

Where is the event? If it is remote, the page should just say so! 05:35, 7 June 2021 (UTC)Reply

It is entirely remote! -- Phoebe (talk) 02:34, 14 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

this will be interesting

[edit source]

Hi, I found it really difficult to find these pages from Meta https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2021 - which is the top Google search result. Could someone from the organising team improve how Meta links here? I'd do it myself but unsure about the structure. Thanks! MassiveEartha (talk) 09:41, 20 July 2021 (UTC)Reply

Great point, I just put a link at the top of the page for now as a hack :) -- Phoebe (talk) 20:15, 13 August 2021 (UTC)Reply


[edit source]

I believe individuals have been notified of the success/failure of their topics - could we now get a list added to the programme? Cheers! Nosebagbear (talk) 10:56, 28 July 2021 (UTC)Reply

[edit source]

Hi all, Although banner

The 2021 Wikimania Conference is now open for registration.
Please register to get access to the event space!

has already been translated (ex: version FR ), it always appears in english on the local pages. Can someone make the translations available for all ? Thanks.

Wladek92 (talk) 07:56, 30 July 2021 (UTC)Reply

See also

[edit source]

Several of these talks are related, but it's not always easy to find them. Would it be okay (once more of the pages have been created, at least) for me to add a few ==See also== links to other sessions? Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 17:55, 5 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

It's fine with us if it's fine with the session owners! That's a good idea to improve usability. You could also start a page for 'all sessions on xyz' (that could be linked to session pages) -- Phoebe (talk) 20:17, 13 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

Adding an autopatrol user group

[edit source]

Please see the proposal at Wikimania talk:Requests for rights. Thanks, --DannyS712 (talk) 05:44, 6 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

What URL do we provide for an unconference session for people to connect to?

[edit source]
Also asked here

What URL should I share, and can I share a URL to the specific building and floor (e.g. Building 6, Floor 1). It's getting pretty close to the date! Evolution and evolvability (talk) 04:31, 13 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

Hi @Evolution and evolvability: - you can use this URL to connect to Building 6. It doesn't look like you can create a direct URL to a specific table/floor, but you can give instructions: Building 6, floor 10, table T-10 for instance. There are 10 floors. For help on connecting, see this faq and you can see what's available here. NOTE that only people who are already registered for the conference can join unconference tables (so you can't put the link on social media and invite non-registrants to join). Let me know if you have more questions. -- Phoebe (talk) 20:27, 13 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

How to "redeem ticket"?

[edit source]

The process to logon to Wikimania 2021 online seems unnecessarily complicated and frustrating in navigating between this site, EventBrite, and Remo. I got my ticket confirmation a week ago, but it does not provide any access link. It just says, "Wikimania will take place on a virtual platform called Remo and the links to access Remo are in this email" — but they are not. I fail to understand why the link to Wikimania is not provided on this page, simply using the ticket number as password for logon verification. Right now, I'm dead in the water and unable to logon and access Wikimania Hackathon at all. Help! JGHowes (talk) 13:06, 13 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

Hi @JGHowes:! I'm so sorry. It is complicated. The hackathon and conference are on two different platforms. To get into the hackathon, go to this page and click on the Jitsi links at the top of the schedule. To get into the conference tomorrow, follow the Remo links that are now in the 2021:Program. The links in your email btw are further down - they are in the table that is in the middle of the email. I know it's hard to spot! The Eventbrite ticket number isn't connected to anything - that's just a number that Eventbrite generates on their end. Let me know if you have more questions. -- Phoebe (talk) 20:31, 13 August 2021 (UTC)Reply
Many thanks, @Phoebe:, that is a big help for me (and maybe others, too)! JGHowes (talk) 22:33, 13 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

Wikimania in Bangkok

[edit source]

I dont know when next Wikimania also as an Liveevent will happen. The Wikimania 2020 was planned to be in Bangkok in Thailand. After my understanding of democracy Thailand is not a real democracy. The Military has there more influence than in other countries in politics and there was a military dictatorship in the past and at the last election of the prime minister the military had an big influence. So it is from my point of view not good to let Wikimania happen in such a country that is rated by Freedom house index as Not Free. I dont support a Wikimania in Bangkok as long as Thailand is rated as Not Free. If it is rated as free then I support a Wikimania there. What do you think about that.--Hogü-456 (talk) 18:04, 24 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

Interesting that nobody has bothered to reply. Charlesjsharp (talk) 20:57, 17 September 2021 (UTC)Reply

2022 namespace

[edit source]

The 2022 namespaces have been created for population. Planning will now take place to look to the transitions that will take place in preparation for the next Wikimania, and managing the redirects that exist from main ns to 2021: ns.  — billinghurst sDrewth 00:14, 11 November 2021 (UTC)Reply

For what it's worth, there is no content here yet: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:AllPages?from=&to=&namespace=134 Koavf (talk) 09:15, 9 January 2022 (UTC)Reply

Question About Joining

[edit source]

Hi. Last year I joined Wikimania but ended up being removed from the event due to bad behavior. Can I still join this year? My username is Skiyomi and my email is reeselange8@gmail.com. 18:55, 12 May 2022 (UTC)Reply

What sorts of things are happening this year?

[edit source]

I am looking for any details on the program, to avoid conflicts w/ regional programming. What are people telling those that you're inviting to expect, when pointing them to registration? :)

What is the distinction b/t hackathon and other wikimania sessions? Are the unconference and community-run tents going to be around for the whole period during these days, 24/7? [hackathons often run all night when in person ;) but it can he nice to have a focused period when you can expect to find most other people online]

The combined schedule should be quite cool, especially if much of it is also online. Is there a combined calendar where we can see the programming happening across regional events? How are different groups planning to participate (hosting some events locally, broadcasting them, joining some events online as a group?) -- are there recommended setups for this / a place to add the local schedule to a global one? We may try to schedule replays of sessions that happened in the middle of the local night.

Sj (talk) 16:54, 25 July 2022 (UTC)Reply

Thoughts on current + past review tools?

[edit source]

How did this year's review framework work? What have people used and liked recently for handling hundreds of submissions?

For future years w/ regionals: I could see a unified submission + review pipeline, so people rough out a session they want to run and then see where it fits. Sj (talk) 17:29, 25 July 2022 (UTC)Reply

Accessible registration form

[edit source]

Is there plans on an alternative way to register? The current form seems to block people from registering by "jumping around" on the last page. The accessibility toggle doesn't work either as contrast and the many language related issues persists. Abbe98 (talk) 06:46, 26 July 2022 (UTC)Reply

Wikimania 2022 In-person events map readability

[edit source]

I made some comments on the discussion page about the readability of the Wikimania 2022 In-person events map. Can you look into them and comment what you think? Thanks! Ederporto (talk) 15:06, 4 August 2022 (UTC)Reply

Accessibility using a mobile device

[edit source]

I contribute to Wikipedia and Wikidata using a mobile device. Usually, the user experience is great due to the Minerva skin. On this site however, Minerva is not available and it's very difficult to read the content using a mobile device. Many users go to the Web using a mobile device. PAC2 (talk) 05:24, 11 August 2022 (UTC)Reply

@PAC2: Why do you think it would be unavailable? I see Minerva at https://wikimania.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania. —Tacsipacsi (talk) 11:31, 12 August 2022 (UTC)Reply
Thanks. For some weird reason my mobile device doesn't redirect me to the mobile interface. "PAC2 (talk) 07:06, 13 August 2022 (UTC)Reply
Maybe you’ve switched to the desktop version earlier? When you tap the desktop version link, MobileFrontend sets a cookie so that it doesn’t redirect you to the mobile version anymore if you open a link to the desktop one. If you click the mobile version link in the desktop version’s footer, this cookie should be deleted. —Tacsipacsi (talk) 10:20, 14 August 2022 (UTC)Reply

Update the redirect

[edit source]

The redirect here still points to Singapore. Can someone please update it to 2024:Wikimania, so that it points to Katowice? — OwenBlacker (talk) 18:12, 7 July 2024 (UTC)Reply