2021:Submissions/English as a lingua franca of the Wikimedia movement: how do we ensure people's inclusion?
This session is at 12:30 Mexico City/Central Daylight Time - 14:30 Buenos Aires-Rio de Janeiro
Speakers[edit | edit source]
- Anna Torres-Adell, Wikimedia Argentina
- Iván Martínez, Wikimedia Mexico
- Celio Costa, Wiki Movimento Brasil
- Anasuya Segupta, Whose Knowledge?
Abstract[edit | edit source]
Historically and given its global character, the Wikimedia movement has used English language in its major decision-making, dialogue, communication and meeting spaces. This includes its two most important international meetings, Wikimania and the Wikimedia Conference, its most used mailing lists, discussions and communications among its Board of Trustees as well as everything related to its voluntary working committees. In this panel we will answer some questions, in order to open the discussion into the movement and to seek some possible mid and long term solutions. How the prevalence of English has influenced the inclusion or exclusion of people? Is it possible to have more linguistic equity in the participation in the movement?
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
By the end of the session each learner should be able to
- To understand through the experiences of the panelists the situation around the use of the English language in the Wikimedia movement, an environment where there are 288 Wikipedia editions in the same number of world languages and +150 affiliates in the world and hundreds of volunteers, most of whom do not have English as their native language.
- To problematize how this factor can be an element of bias, exclusion or invisibilization of a truly global and diverse vision.
- To set a starting point for the elaboration of an initiative focused on reducing this gap within the movement.
I'm planning to attend live![edit | edit source]
- Smallbones (talk) 03:32, 4 August 2021 (UTC)
- Ziko (talk) 15:30, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
- Tiputini (talk) 17:43, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
- Oscar . (talk) 19:42, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
- ProtoplasmaKid (talk) 01:51, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- EricaAzzellini (talk) 12:38, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- GiFontenelle (talk) 13:49, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- GorillaWarfare (talk) 19:43, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- MGuadalupe (WMF) (talk) 21:28, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- Nieszczarda2 (talk) 06:17, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- MiguelAlanCS (talk) 08:44, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- Adamw (talk) 00:10, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- OwenBlacker (talk) 08:41, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Freddy eduardo (talk) 17:57, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- 18.104.22.168 22:01, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Denis Barthel (talk) 08:18, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- Andycyca (talk) 16:11, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- Visem (talk) 17:26, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- Heathart (talk) 17:51, 15 August 2021 (UTC)