2021:Submissions/Wikifunctions and Abstract Wikipedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wikifunctions and Abstract Wikipedia
Building 2 · Saturday August 14, 17:00 UTC
Videos[edit | edit source]
- Full (90 min) Session recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LecYqXHvHfg
- 12 minute intro-video shown at the start: File:Wikimania 2021 Abstract Wikipedia and Wikifunctions Introduction.webm
Speakers[edit | edit source]
- Denny Vrandečić (WMF) - Product Manager
- Adam Baso (WMF) - Engineering Director
- James Forrester (WMF) - Software Engineer
- Genoveva Galarza (WMF) - Software Engineer
- Arthur Lorenzi - Volunteer developer
- Cory Massaro (WMF) - Software Engineer
- Quiddity (WMF) - Community Relations
- Arthur Smith - Volunteer developer
- Lindsay Wardell - Software Engineer
- Lucas Werkmeister - Volunteer developer
Abstract[edit | edit source]
We will soon launch the first new Wikimedia project in eight years, Wikifunctions.
In this session we want to offer the community ample opportunity to learn about our plans, to discuss them, and to raise awareness of how this project may provide opportunities to change the work in the projects.
Most of the time will be for open questions.
We will start by presenting a short video about Wikifunctions and Abstract Wikipedia to show parts of how they will work.
- Wikifunctions is a new Wikimedia project that allows anyone to create and maintain code. This is useful in many different ways. It provides a catalog of all kinds of functions that anyone can call, write, maintain, and use. It also provides code that translates the language-independent article from Abstract Wikipedia into the language of a Wikipedia. This allows everyone to read the article in their language. Wikifunctions will use knowledge about words and entities from Wikidata.
- The goal of Abstract Wikipedia is to let more people share more knowledge in more languages. Abstract Wikipedia is a conceptual extension of Wikidata. In Abstract Wikipedia, people can create and maintain Wikipedia articles in a language-independent way. A particular language Wikipedia can translate this language-independent article into its language. Code does the translation.
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- What is Wikifunctions and how is it useful for me as a Wikimedian
- What is Abstract Wikipedia and how can I contribute to it and how can my project benefit from it
- What is a timeline of these changes happening
I'm planning to attend this session live![edit | edit source]
- Dollyrajupslp (talk) 18:40, 12 August 2021 (UTC)
- ערן (talk) 07:49, 7 August 2021 (UTC)
- Hogü-456 (talk) 20:15, 8 August 2021 (UTC)
- Ziko (talk) 15:17, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
- --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 22:32, 9 August 2021 (UTC)
- GorillaWarfare (talk) 19:53, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- Ainali (talk) 09:19, 11 August 2021 (UTC)
- Stephenbharrison (talk) 15:36, 11 August 2021 (UTC)
- WiseWoman (talk) 21:20, 12 August 2021 (UTC)
- Radhika41 (talk) 08:49, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- Adamw (talk) 00:01, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- --CmdrDan (talk) 08:43, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Andrew Krizhanovsky (talk) 09:14, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Tore Danielsson (WMSE) (talk) 16:37, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- GreenReaper (talk) 17:37, 14 August 2021 (UTC)