2023. augusztus 16–19., Szingapúrban és online
Sokszínűség. Együttműködés. Jövő.
Overview of WikiWomen Summit Track at Wikimania
Historically, the Wikimedia movement has organized different global events focused on closing the gender gap and advancing gender equality within the Wikimedia projects. Over the past few years, highlights of these collective efforts include the WikiWomen Camp in Argentina in 2012, and WikiWomen Camp organized in Mexico City in 2017. Building on these collective efforts, the next WikiWomen Camp will take place in India in October 2023! We recognize, celebrate, and honour the efforts of gender organizers and contributors in the movement who have worked tirelessly to get us to this moment.
As we work collectively to advance gender equity and inclusion across the projects, for the first time in our movement's history, this year, the WikiWomen Summit at Wikimania (Summit), will be launched. The Summit will be a gathering, that has been co-designed in feminist solidarity, focused on gender inclusion and equality. The events under this banner will take place at Wikimania Singapore 2023.
This year, the Summit has been co-designed to celebrate the work of making the Wikimedia movement more gender equitable and inclusive. We aim to create a safe and inclusive space to share strategies, debate, reflect, and forge alliances and common agendas. Organizing in the Wikimedia movement often happens online, so the opportunity to meet in person and build relationships is irreplaceable for connection strengthening and skill building; which is essential for us to thrive individually and collectively in the Wikimedia movement.
This year’s Summit will feature several events organized, including panels, learning sessions, a Women’s Lunch, and an opportunity for all interested parties and allies to help shape our collective strategy for closing the gender gap and building an inclusive Wikimedia movement. You can see more details in the program below (details subject to change).
Going forward, the intention is for Summit to become a recurring event at Wikimania. So next year, in 2024, gender organizers and contributors will be able to meet again during Wikimania Krakow!
What to expect at this year’s WikiWomen Summit @ Wikimania?
2023. augusztus 15., kedd
- Mind The Gap (Session: Empowering Women in Wikimedia Projects for Inclusive Knowledge Sharing)
- Time: 9:00 - 15:00 Singapore time
Location: Google Asia Pacific office. Transportation (bus) will be provided (details will be shared later).
- Program: presentations, discussions, and edit-a-thon.
- Details: The program is a part of the “Mind The Gap” event hosted at Google Asia Pacific to discuss women empowerment in Wikimedia Projects content creation and education.
- How to participate: Google Doc registration form is required. The link to the registration form is located in the “Mind The Gap” section of this Wikimania page.
2023. augusztus 16., szerda, reggel
You can watch the recording here!
- Time: 10:00 - 13:15 Singapore time. For online participation please register here. Check your local starting time here.
- Location: Suntec, Level 3, Room 311
- Program: WikiWomen lectures, panels, workshops
- Details: The program will be dedicated to lectures, workshops, and panel discussions by gender organizers from around the globe. The first portion covers language diversity and gender and the second portion gender organizing. Please check the program schedule for the details.
Room capacity is limited, so please add your name below if you will be attending this session in person. For online participation please register here.
- Rosiestep (talk)
- ...Khadija Issa Twahir, Username:Almaddy2022
- Marinna (talk) 19:00, 25 July 2023 (UTC)
- Assem Mirmanova, Username: Sofiemama
- Jaluj (talk) 19:46, 25 July 2023 (UTC)
- Ann Chen, Username: Vian Chen
- Winnie Chen, Username: Winnie Chloé Chen
- Laliv g (talk) 18:25, 29 July 2023 (UTC)
- Vic Sfriso (WMAR)
- Waltercolor (talk) 12:22, 4 August 2023 (UTC)
- Danbarrameda (talk) 12:55, 4 August 2023 (UTC)
- Daphpb (talk) 13:06, 4 August 2023 (UTC)
- Oby Ezeilo (talk) 21:22, 5 August 2023 (UTC)
- Zapipedia (talk) 08:02, 6 August 2023 (UTC)
- Sandra Aceng (talk) 21:49, 6 August 2023 (UTC)
- Ballardmaize (talk) 10:12, 7 August 2023 (UTC)
- AdjoEsse (talk)
- Iwuala Lucy (talk) 03:50, 11 August 2023 (UTC)
- AKibombo (talk) 13:36, 11 August 2023 (UTC)
- Pakoire (talk) 19:33, 11 August 2023 (UTC)
- Imacat (talk) 01:38, 18 August 2023 (UTC)
|LANGUAGE DIVERSITY AND GENDER|
|10:00 - 11:35 Singapore time
(1 h 35 min)
|10:00 - 10:10||10 min||Opening Remarks||Vanj Padilla & Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight|
|10:10 - 10:22||12
|Using LLMs to Overcome Bias: An Experiment||Clifford Anderson, Colleen D Hartung, Christine Meyer, Rosalind Hinton|
|10:22 - 10:34||12 min||Art+Feminism West African Indigenous Language Program||Kira Wisniewski, Sadik Shahadu|
|10:34 - 11:14||40 min||VisibleWikiWomen Lab: fostering multilingual and decolonizing structured data narratives on Wikimedia Commons||Whose Knowledge?|
|11:14 - 11:35||21 min||WikiWomen Q&A and open discussion: Language diversity and gender||Moderators: Tila Cappelletto & Masana Mulaudzi|
|Coffee break (10 min)|
|11:45 - 13:15 Singapore time (1 h 30 min)
Suntec, Level 3, Room 311
|11:45 - 11:57||12 min||Contributing Women's Voices: The Wikiwomen Taiwan Journey||Ann Chen, Winnie Chen|
|11:57 - 12:09||12 min||Femme et leadership dans les projets Wikimédia en Afrique: Wiki Wake Up Afrique une opportunité||AdjoEsse, Ourytima, Andriah Laingo, Bassératou Kindo, Pascale Appora-Gnekindy|
|12:09 - 12:21||12 min||Women and Gender Workshop - Organizing WikiWomen Meetups||imacat|
|12:21 - 12:33||12 min||How I became a wikiwoman||laliv|
|12:33 - 12:45||12 min||Collaborative on-wiki events planning at Women in Red's Virtual Ideas Cafe||Emma Christoffersen, Lucy Moore, Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight|
|12:45 - 13:15||30 min||WikiWomen Q&A and open discussion - Gender organizing||Moderators: Tila Cappelletto & Masana Mulaudzi|
2023. augusztus 16., szerda, délután
You can watch the recording here!
- Time: 14:15 - 16:30 (Singapore time). For online participation please register here. Check your local starting time here..
- Location: Suntec, Level 4, Main Hall, Rooms 401/402
- Program: WikiWomen keynotes, lectures, panels, QnA
- Details: This session will be devoted to conversations on shared priorities for closing the gender gap. There will be an opportunity to identify collective needs and goals, which will feed into discussions at the WikiWomenCamp in October 2023.
|WIKIWOMEN SOLIDARITY WORKSHOP|
|14:15 - 15:15 Singapore time (1 hr) Level 4, Rooms 401/402, Plenary||14:15 - 14:20||5 min||Opening Remarks||Vanj Padilla; Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight|
|14:20 - 14:30||10
|14:30 - 14:45||15 min||Keynote: What we learned from the first WikiWomen Camp and Where We find ourselves now||Netha Hussein & María Sefidari|
|14:45 - 15:15||30 min||WikiWomen in Action: the Past, Present and Future of Making the Movement Gender Equitable||Moderator: Masana Mulaudzi. Panelists: Sherry Antoine, Jasverenne Ferrer, Andrea Kleiman|
|Tea break (15 min)|
|LOOKING TO THE FUTURE|
|15:30 - 16:30 Singapore time (1 hr)
Level 4, Rooms 401/402, Plenary
|15:30 - 15:40||10 min||Looking to the future: Hearing from WWC COT for priorities for October 2023||Joy Agyepong, Manavpreet Kaur, Chinmayee Mishra|
|15:40 - 15:45||5 min||Looking to the future: Wikiwomen Summit x Wikimania 2024||Käbi Laan|
|15:45 - 15:55||10 min||Looking to the future: Wikiwomen Lunch, then and now.||Florence Devouard|
|15:55 - 16:15||20 min||Q&A||Masana Mulaudzi (in-person) & Tila Cappelletto (virtually)|
|16:15-16:25||10 min||Final Reflections from the Board of Trustees||Nataliia Tymkiv|
|16:25 - 16:30||5 min||Closing remarks & thank you!||Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight & Vanj Padilla|
Saturday, 19 August 2023, WikiWomen's Lunch Table 2023 at Wikimania
If you're attending Wikimania in person, the organizers of the WikiWomen Summit, Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight, and Vanj Padilla, would like to invite you to the WikiWomen's Lunch Table 2023 x Wikimania. Please note that this event is exclusively for women+ attendees. Details are as follows:
- Venue: Suntec room 324
- Date: August 19th, from 12:45 to 14:15 (Singapore local time)
|12:45||Participants to collect their lunch at the Concourse area on level 3 and move to room 324|
|13:00||Opening remarks - Yael Weissburg, Vice President, Community Growth, Wikimedia Foundation|
|13:05||Welcome note: Nataliia Tymkiv, Chairperson of the Wikimedia Foundation Board|
|13:15||Reflections on Women's Lunch Table: Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight, WikiWomen Summit Organizer|
|13:20||Launch of WikiWomen Social Media platforms: Vanj Padilla, WikiWomen Summit Organizer|
|13:40||Closing remarks, Vanj Padilla, WikiWomen Summit Organizer|
|14:15||End of the WikiWomen's Lunch Table 2023|
- Q1 Can anyone participate?
- Anyone can participate in the WikiWomen Summit x Wikimania events on Wednesday, 16 August 2023 if they are allies, participants, and supporters of gender equity work in the movement.
- For the Google event (Tuesday, 15 August) and Lunch Table (Saturday, 19 August), preference will be given to women+ movement participants.
- To ensure the safety and comfort of all participants, the UCOC will be applied and enforced in the space. Participants are also requested to be mindful of using inclusive, equitable language during the sessions and to ensure that all those wanting to make a contribution have space to do so.
- Q2 How can I participate?
- To join WikiWomen Summit (sessions on Wednesday, August 16th) you need to be registered for Wikimania online or in-person participation. Please indicate your desire to participate in-person on the specific section above (please add your name to the list). For online participation please register here. You can check your local starting time here.
- For the WikiWomen activity at Google (Tuesday, 15 August), a separate registration is necessary; see the section above related to Google.
- For the WikiWomen Lunch, you do not require any special action besides the regular registration for Wikimania.
- Q3 How was this Track created?
- A3 The Summit is the outcome of ongoing efforts in the movement to share learnings and best practices about closing the gender gap. Following the overwhelming submissions dedicated to closing the gender gap, and the identification of Gender as a shared movement priority in 2023/24, the Summit was identified as the best space to coordinate the movement’s efforts under one banner.
- Q4 What’s the difference between the WikiWomen Summit x Wikimania and the WikiWomen Camp?
- A4 The Summit is a gathering of Wikimedians committed to addressing the gender gap who will attend the Wikimania event in Singapore to share their projects, knowledge, and best practices with other Wikimedians across the movement. WikiWomen Camp will focus on bringing together gender contributors in the movement to identify shared priorities, needs, and collective experiences of barriers and hurdles in their work in closing the gender gap. The Camp, to be held in India in October 2023, will also include training, upskilling, and capacity building for women organizers, project leads, and young and upcoming women who will lead the movement in the future. The strategy cohort of the Camp will focus on designing a two-year plan for engagement with mid-term goals set for review at WikiWomen
- Q5 What will happen after the Summit?
- A5 After the Summit, we will facilitate creating a shared space of solidarity and learning among gender contributors in the movement. We will hear from previous and future WikiWomenCamp organizers and movement catalysts on the changes in the gender landscape of the movement, what is required to move the needle forward in this work, and what to expect at the next WikiWomen Camp in October 2023, and the next WikiWomen Summit x Wikimania 2024.
- Vanj Padilla
- Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight