16–19 August 2023, Singapore and Online
The following page describes the process for Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) scholarships. Some other chapters and organizations offer scholarships as well.
Wikimania 2023 will be reimagining the way in which many activities will be made available, the scholarship process is part of that reimagination. For 2023 the Core Organising team will be offering different types of scholarships:
- Travel to Singapore: Both full and partial scholarships. As occurred before 2020 there are some limitations and conditions.
- Full scholarships will provide travel, accommodation, and registration.
- Partial scholarships will provide accommodation and registration.
- Satellite Events: Affiliates or project groups apply through the WMF grant process for funding, COT can support technical needs for live links to Wikimania.
All full and partial scholars will have the option to do volunteer tasks during Wikimania, as volunteers scholars will also be covered by WMF Travel Insurance policy. The volunteers could include 2 hours on an Expo table, room angel (etherpad notes, share online questions to speakers), or uploading session videos to Commons. Volunteering for 2 or more hours will also be considered as sufficient to not require a written report, and will be subject to verification by the Scholarship team during Wikimania.
The timeline for the WMF Scholarship Program is as follows:
Travel Scholarship applications
- Done Phase 1 eligibility assessment by the WMF Trust & Safety: mid-February (no notification about the outcome).
- Phase 2 in-depth evaluations by the Scholarship Committee: March
- Applicants are notified about final decisions: May
- The full list of recipients published on Wikimania Wiki: May
For further details on the application requirements, evaluation, and to apply see: 2023:Scholarships/Travel Scholarship application
Satellite events can be scheduled and funded as part of the affiliate General Support Fund (GSF).
Wikimedia Affiliates may use funds already obtained through the Wikimedia Foundation General Support Fund to run a satellite event, even if a satellite event was not initially included in their GSF proposal. General Support Fund grantees have the ability to move funds around their budget as needed, and, per the General Support Fund agreement, the Foundation only requests that Program Officers be informed if that variance is more than 20% from the original proposal. We encourage all affiliates interested in hosting a satellite event to list their event details on the satellite event subpage, so that affiliates may coordinate between themselves, encouraging collaboration and connection amongst Wikimedians and to better promote their events.
- A végleges eseménylista júniusban kerül kihirdetésre
- Affiliates wanting to livestream into Wikimania should get in touch with the programming subcommittee of the Core Organizing Team at wikimaniawikimedia.org as soon as they have the details of their event.
- The Core Organizing Team will provide technical support for groups wanting to livestream into Wikimania.
Please use the talk page for discussing ideas.
For more information about the Wikimedia Foundation Scholarships Program, please visit the frequently asked questions (FAQ) page.
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at: 2023 talk:Scholarships/hu.