Welcome to the landing page for the GLAM Space at Wikimania 2019 in Stockholm!
Galleries, libraries, archives, museums and the cultural sector
The GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums) and Cultural Partnerships space aims to cover the breadth of cultural and heritage-related activities in the movement, either through external partnerships or our own community initiatives.
Through mini-keynotes, lightning talks, case studies, skills training, identifying critical challenges and group brainstorming sessions, the space will employ a number of approaches to engage Wikimedia community members, and those new to the movement, in how to improve content in the artistic, cultural and heritage domains.
Contact[edit | edit source]
- Andrew Lih (User:Fuzheado), Wikimedia DC, Wikimedia strategist at The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Kelly Doyle (User:KellyDoyle), Wikimedia DC, Open Knowledge Coordinator at Smithsonian Institution
- Giovanna Fontenelle (User:GiFontenelle), Wiki Movimento Brasil and WiR at Paulista Museum
- Merrilee Proffitt (User:Merrilee), OCLC / Wikimedia and Libraries User Group (Libraries space)
- Jennifer Sutcliffe (User:Jenniferjuniper), Emory University, Educational Analyst
Intended audience[edit | edit source]
This space is open to all interested in artistic, cultural and heritage institutions and partnerships in the production of Wikimedia and open content. There is special space dedicated to libraries which may be of interest.
Suggested topics[edit | edit source]
- GLAM Tools training/showcase
- GLAM case studies
- Understanding GLAM licenses
- The role of GLAM on the sum of free knowledge
- Gender gap, culture and diversity on GLAM
- Strategies for dealing with GLAM institutions
- Wikidata and Commons tutorials
Community suggestions[edit | edit source]
Even if you are not submitting a proposal or attending Wikimania, you are invited to add topics or areas of interest for the community and organizers to consider
- Ideas are welcome.
- Please add more here!
Existing channels[edit | edit source]
There are a number of community forums and publications related to GLAM which may be useful to consult:
- GLAM newsletter
- GLAM Wiki Global Facebook group
- GLAM Wiki Global Telegram group
Information for sessions[edit | edit source]
- Lightning talks (5 min – 10 min)
- Presentations (30 min)
- Panels (30 min – 45 min)
- Workshops (30 min – 60 min)
- Lectures (30 min – 45 min)
- Others (feel free to suggest more formats)
Relationship to the Sustainable Development Goals[edit | edit source]
The following United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are relevant to our space. You will be asked to refer to them when making a submission. Read more about them here.
Proposed submissions[edit | edit source]
Category containing all GLAM submissions
- GLAM/10 years of Wiki Loves photo competitions
- GLAM/A Futuristic Museum & Platform Nourishing All SDGs
- GLAM/Adding images workshop
- GLAM/Attracting GLAM - failing
- GLAM/Black Face: Strategies for missing images from art biographies and the ethics of WikiCommons
- GLAM/Bootstrapping the Worldwide Inventory of Heritage Institutions
- GLAM/Considerations of the History of Collections and the Formation of Museums in Approaches to Open Access Initiatives for Cultural Heritage Foundations
- GLAM/Copyright Workshop
- GLAM/Creating visibility for the world’s cultural heritage institutions – what has been done and what is still left to do?
- GLAM/DigiVis - Leveraging MediaWiki for the Digitization and Visualization of Digital Archives
- GLAM/Embedding Wikidata into GLAM practice
- GLAM/From a messy spreadsheet to Wikidata: start mass data uploads with OpenRefine
- GLAM/From a messy spreadsheet to Wikidata: start mass data uploads with OpenRefine/Resources
- GLAM/How organize a mutual profit event with GLAM and queer communities ?
- GLAM/How to Free Your Art from Copyright
- GLAM/How to engage Wikimedia community and GLAM: Russian experience
- GLAM/Institutional ingestion of Wikimedia Data: Trust, Tooling and Expectations
- GLAM/Lightning talks
- GLAM/Map making workshop – from Wikidata to interactive off-wiki maps in three steps
- GLAM/Meet Me At The Observatory: How Can We Increase Cultural Diversity On GLAM Content?
- GLAM/Mini Keynotes
- GLAM/Public Domain Awareness Project: enhancing use of CC’s Public Domain tools to serve the needs of GLAM institutions and reusers
- GLAM/Role of GLAM on Sum of Free Knowledge: Growing Punjabi Wikisource with a GLAM Partnership
- GLAM/Serbian Ministry of Culture supporting GLAM
- GLAM/Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons for GLAM-Wiki
- GLAM/Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons for GLAM-Wiki/notes
- GLAM/Submission form
- GLAM/The Met Museum and New Frontiers in Wikidata engagement
- GLAM/The Smithsonian: A Partnership to Improve Gender Representation Online
- GLAM/The process of upload, disseminate and report a GLAM and how wikidatifying it improves it: a Brazilian experience
- GLAM/Why do museums decide to open up their collections? Presenting research results on shared open heritage & GLAMs business models
- GLAM/Wiki Loves Monuments: hands-on workshop
- GLAM/Wiki Loves Monuments And Freedom Of Panorama: The Case Of Italy
- GLAM/Wiki Loves Monuments session
- GLAM/Wiki loves Monuments is (should be) more than just a Photo contest
- GLAM/Wikidocumentaries is a wikibase for small history
- GLAM/Workflows for uploading GLAM collections to Wikidata and Commons
- GLAM/coolest projects
Discussion[edit | edit source]
Questions? Comments? Other suggestions? Start a conversation about the about the GLAM Space by clicking here.
Ive proposed a workshop under Education sector. on Wikidata for Wikimedia Commons contributors, which may fit also in here helping GLAMers to get into this new and future feature of WMC.Juandev (talk) 00:25, 23 May 2019 (UTC)
Any update on the expected accept/reject dates? One of my proposals would require quite a bit of time to prepare, in order to deliver sufficient quality (if accepted). Effeietsanders (talk) 01:57, 3 July 2019 (UTC)
- Hi Effeietsanders, the space leader hope to put together a draft schedule next week, so you should be notified shortly. Ciell (talk) 20:27, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
Is there a Sign Up for the Lighting Talks already available? Thanks for sharing!
Possible Crossover Session[edit source]
Hello GLAM space!
The Advocacy space has just finished reviewing our proposals, and we have a proposal that we thought might fit more in the GLAM space or that we could submit as a crossover session.
If you wouldn’t mind, could you please take a look at https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Advocacy/Public_Domain_and_Profitability to see if you be interested in including them in your space or a crossover session!
Thanks, ADavenport (WMF) (talk) 18:00, 8 July 2019 (UTC)