16–19 August 2023, Singapore and Online
Diversity. Collaboration. Future.
Welcome![edit | edit source]
Welcome to the Wikimedia technical community! We're thrilled to have you here. This page will guide you through your Wikimania Hackathon 2023 experience. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask on the Wikimania Talk page.
What to Expect[edit | edit source]
The Wikimania Hackathon 2023 is a global event that brings together technical contributors from around the world, including coders, designers, technical writers, and documentation translators. We have sessions and workshops designed to help newcomers find suitable projects or mentors. Check out the Hackathon schedule and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for more details.
Preparing for the Hackathon[edit | edit source]
To be ready for the Wikimania Hackathon 2023, follow these steps:
Before the Event[edit | edit source]
- Review Documentation: Familiarize yourself with the main wiki-pages for the event, the FAQ, and the event schedule.
- Phabricator: We use Phabricator, a software development collaboration tool, during the hackathon. Create a Phabricator account and explore the main work-board where you can view possible projects, sessions, and other hackathon activities.
- Connect & Setup: Join our Telegram and IRC channels to get announcements from organizers and chat with other participants.
- Meet & Introduce: Add yourself to the Participant List and introduce yourself on Telegram. Subscribe to any hackathon related Phabricator tasks you might be interested in or create your own task.
- Checklist of Recommended Items to Bring: Don't forget to bring your laptop, charger, power plug converters, phone charger, preferred note-taking tools, and any other necessary items.
At the Event[edit | edit source]
- Attend the Newcomers Orientation Session: This will be held on Tuesday, August 15.
- Attend Project & Mentor-Matching Sessions: These sessions will help you find suitable projects to work on and experienced mentors to work with.
- Join a Project: Explore the Hackathon workboard in Phabricator, where people are tracking projects and sessions.
- Ask Questions: Don't hesitate to ask any questions via the hackathon Telegram channels or stop by the Welcome desk in the event space.
- Introduce Yourself to Others: Engage in conversations, attend workshops or talks, and participate in social activities.
Resources for Newcomers[edit | edit source]
- Wikimedia Developer Portal
- Basic skills needed to contribute to development of MediaWiki core and MediaWiki extensions
- An overview of the MediaWiki Action API (slides)
- About the Wikidata Query Service (WDQS) provides a way for tools to access Wikidata data
- About Gerrit, the tool we use to handle code reviews
- An introduction to Wikimedia Cloud Services (i.e., Toolforge, PAWS)
- An overview about Structured Data
- A basic overview of the implementation of Lua on Wikimedia projects
- Writing documentation as a community - Dan Schick (video, 20min)
- Where can I run this? An introduction to Wikimedia Cloud Services - Andrew (video, 25min)
- Intro to PAWS/Jupyter notebooks for Python beginners - Chico Venancio (video, 25min)
- Intro to Toolhub for tool maintainers - bd808 (video, 25min)
- Untangling MediaWiki - Daniel Kinzler (video, 20min)
- Wikibase starting from scratch - Luca Mauri (video, 20min)
- Lua modules training - tohaomg (video, 40min)
- An introduction to user scripts and gadgets (slides)
- Opportunities for new developers in the Wikipedia community including an overview of the technical areas and projects - Srishti Sethi (video)
- Resources, tools, and recommendations in technical areas relevant to smaller wikis that are just getting started