The following page describes the process for Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) scholarships. Some other chapters and organizations offer scholarships as well.
Wikimania 2023 will be reimagining the way in which many activities will be made available, the scholarship process is part of that reimagination. For 2023 the Core Organising team will be offering different types of scholarships:
- Travel to Singapore: Both full and partial scholarships. As occurred before 2020 there are some limitations and conditions.
- Full scholarships will provide travel, accommodation, and registration.
- Partial scholarships will provide accommodation and registration.
- Satellite Events: Affiliates or project groups apply through the WMF grant process for funding, COT can support applications and technical needs for live links to Wikimania.
- Online scholarships will provide limited support to join the conference from home, like in 2021 and 2022.
All full and partial scholars will have the option to do volunteer tasks during Wikimania, as volunteers scholars will also be covered by WMF Travel Insurance policy. The volunteers could include 2 hours on an Expo table, room angel (etherpad notes, share online questions to speakers), or uploading session videos to Commons. Volunteering for 2 or more hours will also be considered as sufficient to not require a written report, and will be subject to verification by the Scholarship team during Wikimania.
The timeline for the WMF Scholarship Program is as follows:
Travel Scholarship applications
- Open: Thursday, 12 January 2023.
- Deadline for applying for scholarships: Sunday, 5 February 2023 at .
There are 5 days, 19 hours, 16 minutes and 18 seconds until travel scholarship application form closes.
- Phase 1 eligibility assessment by the WMF Trust & Safety : mid-February (no notification about the outcome)
- Phase 2 in-depth evaluations by the Scholarship Committee: March
- Applicants are notified about final decisions: May
- The full list of recipients published on Wikimania Wiki: May
For further details on the application requirements, evaluation, and to apply see: 2023:Scholarships/Travel Scholarship application
Satellite events are scheduled and funded as part of the affiliates/ project groups usual activities through WMF Grants process. Request for live links directly to Wikimania
- The finalize list of Events in July
- COT will support event connections into Singapore
Online event access
- Open: May 2023
- Deadline for applying: June 2023
- Phase 1 eligibility assessment by the WMF: on going
- Phase 2 in-depth evaluations: completed by July
- Applicants are notified about final decisions: by July
- The final list of recipients is announced July.
For further details on the application requirements, evaluation, and to apply see: 2023:Scholarships/Online event applications
For more information about the Wikimedia Foundation Scholarships Program, please visit the frequently asked questions (FAQ) page.
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at: 2023 talk:Scholarships.