2023 talk:Help desk
16–19 August 2023, Singapore and Online
Diversity. Collaboration. Future.
- For general inquiries and event program, please reach us at wikimaniawikimedia.org
- For scholarships, please reach wikimania-scholarshipswikimedia.org
- For support grants and funding community events, please go to Grants:Community Resources.
- See the Attendee guide PDF. You can also read the translatable plain text of the guide.
- Want to change details from your presentation at Wikimania Singapore? Please go to the Pretalx platform and update your submission. The program here will be updated frequently!
- Main communications channels on Telegram:
Travel without a scholarship
- A: Yes. Everyone is welcome to come to Wikimania. Registration will be online soon. Hopefully around May. Stay tuned! --Exec8 (talk) 06:20, 14 February 2023
Online session proposal
- A: Yes. You can. Please tick on the click box "Remote online participation, livestreamed". -- Exec8 (talk) 13:01, 12 March 2023 (UTC)
Local in-person event
- A: If you want to organize a local event, you are invited to do so. You can list your satellite event at 2023:Satellite events. --Ameisenigel (talk) 13:15, 4 May 2023 (UTC)
- A: Informations about registration fees have not yet been published. Please monitor 2023:Registration, where informations about the registration will be published. --Ameisenigel (talk) 13:24, 4 May 2023 (UTC)
Poster session proposal
Can someone advise how to submit a poster session proposal? It is stating "Watch this space for more information on poster sessions" for months. So is it still open for proposal or is it closed already? OhanaUnited (talk) 23:08, 3 May 2023 (UTC)
- A: Our call for programm submissions is already closed. If it is deemed necessary to start another call for poster sessions, we will let you know at 2023:Poster session. --Ameisenigel (talk) 13:20, 4 May 2023 (UTC)
- A: We will share information about the accomodation at 2023:Accommodation once they are available. --Ameisenigel (talk) 17:41, 18 May 2023 (UTC)
- A: We plan to inform about the acceptance of submissions in June. --Ameisenigel (talk) 09:22, 28 May 2023 (UTC)
Self-funded attendee guidance
My User name is info-farmer(Stalk toy) from Tamil Wikimedia community from Tamil Nadu, India. Nowadays I am focusing on Wikisource. I want to attendant the conference through self-funded channel. To whom, i have to contact? How much Indian money(En:Indian rupee), i have to pay for the visa, hotel room and food except travel tickets. My email is infofarmer2015 AT GMAIL DOT COM Info-farmer (talk) 02:32, 7 June 2023 (UTC)
- A: We will publish a handbook for attendees later. In the meantime you can find information about visas at 2023:Visas and general information about travelling at 2023:Travel. Information about the registration will be published at 2023:Registration. It is hard to tell how much you will have to pay for travelling because this depends on many aspects. --Ameisenigel (talk) 07:54, 7 June 2023 (UTC)
Hackathon, scholarship, hotel
I would like to know if my partial scholarship would include hosting for the Hackathon days (15-19), or just for the Wikimania (16-19).
|Wikimania 2023 events||August 2023|
|Conference scholarship hotel||15?||16||17||18||19||20?|
|Hackathon scholarship hotel||14?||15||16||17||18||19||20?|
|Green cell: earliest checking on evening. Red cell: latest checkout on morning.|
- @Yug just respond to the email you received advising you of the partial scholarship, they will be able to clarify exactly what is covered Gnangarra (talk) 13:17, 11 June 2023 (UTC)
Fees for online attendees
- Registrations open shortly, yes you can register as an online attendee. As an online attendee you will be to participate live and interact with the speakers as part of the presentations. Gnangarra (talk) 06:04, 28 June 2023 (UTC)
- @Branskeev: Wikimania is held every year, there are also regional, local, and project specific events as well. The communities love getting together to talk so every idea is welcomed the best place to start discussing these is either with your local chapter or on the many social media channels available to build interest. Gnangarra (talk) 06:01, 28 June 2023 (UTC)
Wikipedia ban and online attendence
A Taiwanese registered success and get e-ticket. But some garbled text appeared on the ticket because its name was filled in Chinese characters. Will this affect its participation? Is there a way to fix it?--Reke (talk) 04:59, 17 July 2023 (UTC)
Hi - if I have updates to the list of presenters for a session, should I update the Program directly here on the wiki, or in the session submission portal, or elsewhere? Samwalton9 (WMF) (talk) 12:18, 17 July 2023 (UTC)
- @Samwalton9 (WMF) please apply all changes on Pretalx, the schedule on the wiki will be updated on a regular basis. Ciell (talk) 15:27, 19 July 2023 (UTC)
Confirmed session not on program
Hello, I received an email to review the slot given to our confirmed session ("Psst, Wikimedia has a sound logo) on the program but it doesn't seem to be there. Could I 2x check the confirmation and slot time and date please? Thanks very much. TElias (WMF) (talk) 23:31, 17 July 2023 (UTC)
- Hi @TElias (WMF),
- Your session was moved to the Entertainment track, and the program for entertainment is still being worked on. You will soon be notified when your session about the date & time for your session, but just to let you know the submission was not lost! Ciell (talk) 15:26, 19 July 2023 (UTC)
This page is very hard to use. maybe splitting to one page per day would help?
We also need a grid view (maybe with less detail), so sessions can be seen side-by-side. Could someone make that, please?
- Need a Grid View: +1. Three cheers to hardworking Core Team, thank you so much (:
- Locator-navigation map as well. Floor plans with rooms break-down that you will wade to/from? As a translator, I am having hard time to visualize where you will have live streams/simul interpretation, and where you don't, to imagine how readers will navigate the corridors.
- See the official Technical Guide [Overview Floorplans & Capacity Charts (compressed)], and I am more than sure the venue will supply us a blank .png or anything we can add arrows or links to the grid view suggested as above.
- Or, doesn't the venue offer such location-navigation maps drawn for us?
- Omotecho (talk) 14:04, 18 July 2023 (UTC)
Wrong start time
I noticed that in Room 311 on 18th August, the session after mine has an incorrect start time in UTC - it should be 4:15 instead of 3:15, otherwise it looks like the sessions are at the same time :) Samwalton9 (WMF) (talk) 10:12, 19 July 2023 (UTC)
Remove my name
Please remove my name as speaker from this page. I informed the organziers many weeks ago that I unfortunately cannot attend and that I unfortunately I cannot hold my sessions. I did not receive an answer to my e-mail. I then informed the Telegram group where I got the answer that once confirmed cancelling is impossible on Pretalx. So there is nothing I personally can do to remove my name from the program. I wish a wonderful Wikimania to everyone attending. --Gereon K. (talk) 18:44, 21 July 2023 (UTC)
- Hi @Gereon K.:, we have modified it on wiki. Kindly ask your co-speakers to edit the entry on Pretalx as that will be the master copy of what will appear ln the conference and on wiki in August. --Exec8 (talk) 23:18, 24 July 2023 (UTC)
Photowalk during Wikimania
Planning our conference
I find it really hard to plan my visit ahead. There are no fixed time-slots. The schedule is still beeing heavily reshufled, with sessions moving to different times, sessions being expanded, and others disapearing altogether, without the presenters beeing informed. Okay. it's a Wiki and we are Wikipedians, so I don't mind some last minute compromising. But on the other hand there is a slight discrepancy between this and the organistion of the programm.
Still we will be there to share and meet and if you pick out the right cherries for us, all will be fine. I would apreciate if close to the start of the conference and during the confernce, there will be some kind of spread-sheet presentation of the programm available, so we can see at a glance what is happening at what times at what venues with the overlaps being visualized.
- +1--BugWarp (talk) 16:28, 25 July 2023 (UTC)
- Hi @Wuselig: and @BugWarp:, your session is assigned to Thursday 17 August, upgraded to a room with language interpretation, and that is the final schedule. The change on your program session date and time only happened once and it is highly unlikely to happen again. Frequent changes on the schedule happen during the first two weeks of the publication due to speaker requests to change format (such as changing from regular talk to poster session or video on demand). We are doing this as we need to optimally arrange the schedule to fully utilize the conference venue space and time. --Exec8 (talk) 11:08, 29 July 2023 (UTC)
Paltry funding for scholarships
Editors here are invited to join the discussion at w:WP:Village pump (WMF)#Paltry funding for Wikimania scholarships. Sdkb (talk) 11:52, 27 July 2023 (UTC)
Incorrect end time for 'The Future of the Wishlist Survey'
- Hi @Samwilson: , it has been updated. Thank you for noticing. -- Exec8 (talk) 03:28, 28 July 2023 (UTC)
Separating Partners and Sponsors
Can we separate Paying Sponsors (like Google) from Partners (like Creative Commons - I suppose)? This is quite important, since having Google as "Partner" seems like we MUST use Google Meet links for meetings etc. --Valerio Bozzolan (talk) 09:32, 1 August 2023 (UTC)
- Hi Valerio, we have no financial sponsors this year. All event partners provided in-kind assistance --Exec8 (talk) 17:55, 1 August 2023 (UTC)
Is there something weird about the timezone display in the eventyay schedule? It shows me e.g. the first Wikipedia Basics Workshop starting at "2:00 AM (AWST)", but AWST is the same time as SST (UTC+8), so it should be showing 10:00 AM. It looks like it's just displaying UTC but adding on a timezone abbreviation after it (0200 UTC is the right time for that session). Samwilson (talk) 00:55, 3 August 2023 (UTC)
- Yes, I asked organizers directly and the eventyay timezones are wrong; they are working on correcting them shortly (it's a manual process) - Phoebe (talk) 14:23, 7 August 2023 (UTC)
On the 2023:Poster_session page, it says the session is on August 18. But on Pretalx and 2023:Program#Expo Space, the poster session is on August 17. Please clarify the inconsistency. OhanaUnited (talk) 02:29, 4 August 2023 (UTC)
days next to rooms on program
I'd like to propose that we add the days next to the room listings on 2023:Program so it would read "Tuesday Aug 15: Room 324" to aid in scrolling. Any objections/concerns? I know this page may be auto updated so wanted to check before doing it. -- Phoebe (talk) 14:25, 7 August 2023 (UTC)
Remove my name (already deleted on Pretalx)
Please remove my name as a speaker from this website. I informed the organizers that I unfortunately cannot attend the event, but did not receive an answer to my e-mail. Thank you in advance for the removal. --Paul Sutermeister (talk) 15:14, 11 August 2023 (UTC)
- Hello @Paul Sutermeister. It's not possible to delete your wiki account. Regarding the mentions of your name, nothing is linking to your user page and I couldn't find any raw text with your name either. Tar Lócesilion (talk) 06:10, 14 August 2023 (UTC)
Wikimedian of the Year livestream
Will the "Wikimedian of the Year 2023" plenary event be livestreamed to the public, or only available to registered attendees? (The session is listed as "Not yet scheduled" on the Eventyay platform as of now.) Funcrunch (talk) 22:11, 11 August 2023 (UTC)
- Hi Funcrunch, Eventyay is for registered users only (it's freeeee) and it facilitates translations (6 languages) and virtually mingling with other participants. The plenary and other public sessions will also be streamed on YouTube and available to everyone. We are listing the sessions on Eventyay as I write this :) MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 04:14, 12 August 2023 (UTC)
Disappeared as a speaker
- Hey @Doc James, I checked and you're appearing as a speaker for me now. I hope this means this has been fixed. Tar Lócesilion (talk) 06:07, 14 August 2023 (UTC)
eventyay cancelled my online ticket
- Please write an Email with your registration mail and ticket number to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you! 126.96.36.199 04:12, 15 August 2023 (UTC)
- I cannot find anyone with your name in the system. Best is to write an email. Thanks 188.8.131.52 04:24, 15 August 2023 (UTC)
Could someone with the relevant editor right add the following to the main and program pages :
- Eventyay schedule : Pre-Wikimania, Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Post-wikimania
- Youtube videos : Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4