16–19 August 2023, Singapore and Online
What is a Wikimania scholarship?
- Individuals – A scholarship is a grant given to an individual to enable them to attend Wikimania 2023 in person. This is achieved through the Wikimedia Foundation providing funds that will cover flights, transport, accommodation, and registration fees.
- There are also partial scholarships which will cover accommodation, registration fees.
Note: Registration fees include access to the venue as well food & drinks during breaks.
Timeline of applications
What is the timeline for the Wikimania 2023 scholarship applications?
- Applications open on Thursday, 12 January 2023 and close on Sunday, 5 February 2023 AoE (Anywhere on Earth).
- Results will be notified by May 2023 and a list of successful applicants will be post on the Scholarship page here.
What is the submission process for the Wikimania scholarship?
- Applications via LimeSurvey, hosted on a Wikimedia Foundation server.
Who reviews the submissions for the Wikimania Scholarship?
Submissions received during the application period will be reviewed by the Scholarships Committee.
How are the submissions reviewed for the Wikimania Scholarship?
- Assessed by merit in response to the questions asked
- Distributed across regions – there will be a waitlist for each region should someone decline their offer.
In general, we expect the workflow for final decisions to go through the following steps:
- Step 1: Application submission
- Step 2: Email confirmation sent via Limesurvey
- Step 3: Eligibility review by the Scholarships Committee
- Step 4: Funding review and decision made by the Scholarship Committee
- Step 5: Applicants notified of the decision and will be asked for information to enable us to book transport and accommodation
- Step 6: Booking and confirmation of transport and accommodation
Where can I find support/help during the Wikimania application process?
The Core Organizing Team for Wikimania will provide support through office hours offered by region and through answering questions coming in to wikimaniascholarshipswikimedia.org In general, this support will cover:
- Clarifying questions on the submissions and funds requested
- The Dos and Don’ts of application submissions
- Next steps after resubmissions
- What if I don’t get funded
Note: Successful applicants travel, accommodation will be organised and paid for. You will be provided with a registration link
Are the scholarships only for first time Wikimania participants?
- We will be prioritizing applications from those who best fulfill the criteria of contributing to the Wikimania experience and for enhancing their region afterwards.
I am not part of an affiliate. Can I apply for a scholarship?
- Individuals are able to apply for the individual scholarship, for both full and partial scholarships.
Can I submit my application in a different language other than English?
- Yes, applicants are allowed to submit the application in a different language other than English although English is preferred. The scholarship reviewers will try their best to review the application.
What is the funding limit?
- There is no dollar amount or value for individual scholarships, there will a balanced selection process across all regions
Can I submit applications for a scholarship after the deadline?
- To ensure that final decision results are released on-time in fairness to other applicants, late applications will not be accepted. It is recommended that applications are submitted at least a few days before the deadline to avoid missing it.
How will applicants for scholarships be notified of the results?
- The email address provided on the application will be used to notify an individual of whether their application has been successful or not. All applicants will be contacted at some point, regardless of the result.
Can applicants for individual scholarships edit their application after submission?
- It is recommended that applicants draft their application carefully and ensure they say everything they need to say before submission.
How will Individual Scholarships be reviewed and awarded?
- Once all surveys have successfully been completed and therefore all of the data has been collected, the Scholarship Committee will jointly determine which people will be eligible recipients
Note: The COT recommends some level of English for travellers and volunteering at the event. Please do not submit an application twice; this creates a lot of additional work for reviewers
Reporting and next steps
What are the requirements for reporting?
- This year, in lieu of reporting, we are asking scholars to support by volunteering at the event. We will work with you on finding a volunteer role that suits your needs, skills and experience. Reporting on a volunteer basis is encouraged.
I applied for a scholarship but did not get it. What do I do now?
- If you haven’t been selected to receive a scholarship from the Wikimedia Foundation, we strongly encourage you to get in touch with an affiliate in your region. They might be running their own scholarship program or hosting a local event!
When will I receive feedback around my Individual Scholarship Application?
- Offers will start going out in April, this may take a couple of weeks as some people's circumstances may prevent them from accepting. Other applicants will be referred to their local affiliates if you choose that option. All applicants will be notified of their outcome as quickly as possible.
If I can’t attend Singapore in person, how can I participate?
- There will be an option to join virtually as it will have elements of being a hybrid event.
- You may choose to organize a watch party, a local event with activities, or build your event around participation in Wikimania’s programme. This year though we will not be funding Wikimania satellite events from the Wikimania grants fund, funding for the meetup can be requested via the regular grant process.
- Getting a scholarship is not a prerequisite for attending Wikimania; you can also register to attend as long as you can cover your own cost.
I have more questions and they are not in this FAQ
You can email: wikimania-scholarshipswikimedia.org
or also add your questions to the help page.